Search

Fallingwater

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:50 AM
David

Fallingwater

I am driving from New York to see Fallingwater. Was looking for any hotels or small inns to stay at. Someone told me it was best to stay in Pittsburgh, but I would rather stay in the coutry somewhere. Any good campgrounds around.
Thanks!
David

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Frank

We were there last spring and stayed at Seven Springs Resort....about a 20 minute drive to Fallingwater. It is a ski resort, but in the spring we were about the only people there. It was clean and fairly inexpensive, but nothing fancy. They do have a website.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 10:07 AM
x

ditto on 7 springs....PGH is great too with lots of things to see and do...there is the Morning Glory B&B on the south side of Pgh...it is located near town in the vey hopping south side....

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Dick

Nemacolin Resrt is just a few minutes from Fallingwater. It is, however, much more expensive than a campground.

Are you aware that there are at least 2 different kinds of tours?

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:49 AM
kam

Fallingwater is my favorite FLW building. There used to be an old Victorian hotel called the Mount Summit out in the country near there. Very retro family style place--big front porch with rockers-- and quite affordable, but I don't know what town it is closest to. Could be Ohiopyle or Uniontown. Fort Necessity is closeby as well and there was a Mount Washington Tavern, a refurbished stagecoach inn there. Been so long since I've been there, how this helps a bit. Beautiful country.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:55 AM
cc

The above is on route 40 near Uniontown. Look at www.summitinresort.com Nice place for a day or so.
Caroline

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Tom

You might look into Pittsburgh, too. There are great museums and the Pirates new park is beautiful, if you're into baseball at all. Falling Water is simply stunning -- the pictures you have seen pale in comparison toseeing it in person. Truly amazing, FW.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 12:38 PM
terri

Most of the campgrounds in the area are state parks. Ohiopyle is a nice even though all the sites are small. Laurel Hill is another. You could look into taking a rafting trip on the Yough.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:01 PM
Carla

We went to Fallingwater a 4-5 yrs ago and if you can, take rt. 68 from Hancock MD westward and pick up #40 towards Uniontown. Very scenic road.
We stayed at Lodge at Chalk Hill (?) , on Rt. 40 south of Uniontown. Not luxurious, but well kept, clean and reasonable. Contin. Bkfst and overlooking a pond/lake.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:12 PM
hcw

Do you have reservations for Fallingwater? I understand they book up weeks in advance, especially for holiday weekends. If not, their phone # is 724 329 8501; www.paconserve.org.
They offer several different tours: one hour, reservations essential, no photography; and two hours, 8:30 a.m. by advance reservation only, still photos permitted for personal use only.
Other tours: Land of Fallingwater nature hike, 3 hrs, Saturdays at 9 a.m., advance res only, and Fallingwater Focus Tour, extremely limited, advance res only.

(I happened to have their brochure on my desk; we haven't been yet but it's high on my list!).

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:52 PM
kam

Wow! Fallingwater sure has changed from what you guys are saying from when I last visited (about 10 years ago). Reservations??? We used to just show up and walk through. Too bad. I wonder if it's worth the admission price and hassle. I hope someone will tell me that it's still beautiful and the rhodedrones are still 6 feet tall.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 04:10 AM
Rosemary

Last August went with my daughter to Fallingwater. Stayed at The Lodge at Chalk Hill, would echo Carla's opinion of it, fine for a clean and reasonably cheap night's stay. Then (with advance reservations) went on the 2-hour 8.30 a.m. tour. Interesting and detailed, photography allowed throughout, the 2 hours went very quickly. My daughter was doing an Art project on FLW for High School and will be studying Architecture at college so that's why we went on the long tour but I'm glad we did.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:20 AM
Dick

KAm,

The rhododendrons are over 6 ft tall.

I was at Fallingwater this past weekend(my 3rd visit). The house continues to "wow" me. I can't believe it's over 60 yrs old.

While in the area, you may want to visit Kentuck Knob, another Wright house in nearby Ohiopyle. It's not as impressive as Falling water but is worth seeing

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:31 AM
Walter Gropius

When you are 60 years old, pray that somebody spends $19 million renovating you, too! No wonder it looks good. Seriously, though, the renovation offers an interesting perspective into the structural durability of FLW's designs. While the architecture has a timeless quality, the engineering has a difficult time standing up to the test of time. Fallingwater is definitely a seminal work in the style though, that's for sure.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 11:05 AM
Joy

As mentioned above, I WOULD NOT miss Kentuck Knob, my husband and I enjoyed it even more than Fallingwater and it is just a few miles away.

http://fay-west.com/fayette/kentuckknob/