Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fall vacation loop Sacramento - southern Oregon - down No. California Coast.. Advice?

Search

Fall vacation loop Sacramento - southern Oregon - down No. California Coast.. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little stumped in planning an itinerary for our fall vacation, and I need some insight.

Basically, we'd like to spend time at Lava Beds National Monument, the Lost Coast and Redwoods, drive down the coast and spend time around Mendocino, down to Point Arena Lighthouse. Also thinking we would venture up to visit the Obsidian Flow and Lava Caves near Bend (return visit), Crater Lake for a day trip and stay at Prospect Hotel. Flying into Sacramento on Southwest from Orlando. I'm looking for some really interesting additions dealing with history, scenery, avoiding more densely populated areas. Planning on roughly 2+ weeks.

The thing is, I grew up in Antioch, CA (a/k/a the "Armpit of the Delta" to us kids), and have spent plenty of time in places like Rio Vista, Isleton, and along the Delta. I went to school for a year in Sutter Creek. Those are not places I am wanting to revisit. This time, for a change, we want to avoid long driving days. Yet it's hard to shake that and find ways to slow down and relax. I should mention that DH is no longer up to long or strenuous hiking thanks to a bum knee. Looking for suggestions to enhance this trip.

We also enjoy good red wines; are there wineries of note going from Sacramento north? Also quirky museums, historic sites, wildlife, interesting photo ops. So far I have planned:

- Running Y in Klamath Falls 3 nights (timeshare bonus time) 3 nights
- Prospect Hotel 1 night
- Trinidad 4 nights at Emerald Forest Cabins
- Little River Inn 2 nights
- Arena Lighthouse 2 nights
- Sacramento Old Town 1 night

I'm grateful for any and all suggestions. Thanks, my friends.
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add - end of September and first half of October. We have Gortex raincoats...
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As far as going north from Sacramento, there really isn’t anything that interesting until you get up past Redding to the Mt.Shasta area. I know there is an Agricultural museum in Woodland:

Museum | Heidrick Ag History Museum and Event Center

North off of I-5, west of Zamora is Matchbook Wine Company in the Dunnigan Hills. Known for reds:

https://www.matchbookwines.com/

I know you don’t want to go to the Delta, but just down river, about 20 minutes from Sacramento, is the Clarksburg Appellation. There is an old sugar beet factory converted to tasting rooms/wineries. There is also Bogle Vineyards and other small tasting rooms. You will be here during the harvest and crush.

http://www.clarksburgwinecountry.com

Old Sugar Mill

https://www.siltwineco.com/

Hopefully, someone else can offer other help for your trip. Keep us posted. Perhaps we could have a mini- GTG when you are in Sacramento.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 07:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You do have a long drive from SMF to K Falls. So stopping en route will just add time. But McArthur-Burney Falls would be a must. Unfortunately the detour would add about 90 minutes to the drive. I assume you are visiting Lava Beds from your base in Klamath Falls . . .

I might suggest cutting Trinidad to 3 nights and add 1 night at Little River. I'd stay 3 nights at Little River because with just 2 nights, between Mendocino, Ft Bragg, the Botanic Gardens, various state beaches and parks . . . and the nearly 5 hour drive down from Trinidad (assuming you do the Avenue of the Giants) you'd only have one day for everything.

There is one gorgeous winery north of Ft Bragg . . . Pacific Star. The wines are quite good but not 'primo great'. The main thing is the site/views https://pacificstarwinery.com/Our%20Wines.php

Old Jan 24th, 2019, 07:52 PM

Have you visited the Gold country? Quite a few places of interest in that area.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 08:02 PM

The Gold country is wonderful -- but with only two weeks and everything else they want to see to the north I can't see where they could squeeze it in. If they add 3 or 4 days then they could fit in a loop along Hwy 49 and possibly up to Tahoe/Donner
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice, I'll check into all your suggestions. I was afraid there wouldn't be much between Sacramento and Klamath Falls, as my childhood memories centered mostly around hot, hot, barren drives watching for Mt. Shasta to come into view. Actually, I would rather start by flying to Portland and either doing a loop without going as far south, or doing a one-way Portland-Sacramento (drop charges, ugh). But DH wants to avoid Portland this trip, so...

We do plan either a night between arriving in Sacramento and getting to Klamath Falls. So either a night en route or a night in Sacramento, depending on where we plan to visit on the way. The Clarksburg area might work out, if we get in early and then stay the first night in Sacramento. My family used to boat in all the sloughs in the area, and the town I lived in was full of old grape vines on one side of town. Memories.
  • Yes, I've spent a good bit of time in the Gold country and attending a private boarding school outside Sutter Creek for a year or so. One of my school friend's parents owned the old Jug & Rose Confectionary in Volcano. I like the foothills area much better than the Napa Valley, and particularly the wineries around Plymouth and Murphys. Our most recent visit was a year ago - this year we head in another direction.
  • We plan to stay a night in the Avenue of the Giants area (Benbow Inn still available, if I book quickly) after leaving Trinidad. We've also decided to add a night at the Prospect Hotel after Klamath Falls, rather than doing another day trip from K Falls (have been to Crater Lake several times and will not be hiking there). Yes, I know that Crater Lake is close to K Falls, but thought this might take us out of the city (staying because we can get bonus time at a timeshare there for a few nights) into the "woods."
  • Yes, we do plan on going to Lava Beds NM while we stay in K Falls. Any recommendations Lava Beds? DH will not be good for areas requiring a lot of climbing, but he has enjoyed the Lava Cave up near Bend.
  • Overall, we want to avoid long day drives and spend some quiet time away from the press of humanity. The last few vacations have covered a lot of mileage and were packed full of wonderful natural scenery, but too many long drives. (e.g., last fall we drove from Seattle to Osoyoos to Prince Rupert, B.C. with side trips to Barkerville and Bella Coola.)
Again, my thanks. If you have any other recommendations, I am still looking on improving. MichelleY - we will likely spent a night in Sacramento at the end of the trip as well; perhaps we could do a mini-GTG.

Last edited by sludick; Jan 25th, 2019 at 04:44 AM. Reason: adding text
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 06:38 AM

>>I like the foothills area much better than the Napa Valley, and particularly the wineries around Plymouth and Murphys.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 06:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you have been to Crater Lake NP and have no desire to hike down (and back up) the Cleetwood Trail for the boat ride, why not fly to Portland and rent a car to cover the Oregon part of the trip and return the car in Portland? You can take the daily Amtrak Coast Starlight train south to Klamath Falls (10PM) or to Sacramento arriving at about 6AM.
Rental cars are available about 8AM in downtown Sacramento. To get to the SMF airport from downtown use the Yolo bus (42A or B).
There is a wine region in Oregon you might want to check out over in the Medford/Jacksonville area.
Since you have an interest in volcanic caves, you might want to visit the Oregon Caves NM out of Cave Junction off US 199. US 199 takes you to the Coast Redwoods of California.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 06:58 AM

>> why not fly to Portland and rent a car to cover the Oregon part of the trip and return the car in Portland?
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

That sounds good, janisj. In checking out your recommendation, I also see Dunsmuir. Are you familiar? It would be nice to stay somewhere with a historic small area and then visit Burney Falls the next day, before heading on up the road. In Dunsmuir, I see the Mossbrae, but there seem to be any number of choices in the area. We're also fans of historic railroads, and it looks like Dunsmuir has some history there as well.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 07:25 AM

I believe Janis grew up in Dunsmuir ��
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 09:51 AM

>>I also see Dunsmuir. Are you familiar?
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Railroad Park sounds fun. I was speaking of Mossbrae Hotel, however - my apology for being vague. https://mossbraehotel.com/

If the overall route looks good, at this point I need to finalize reservations, as some are close to sold out and are nonrefundable to boot. So if you wouldn't mind taking one last peek:

- Fly into Sacramento and arrive before noon; overnight in Dunsmuir
- Klamath Falls for 3 nights (Running Y)
- Prospect Hotel for 1 night
- Emerald Forest Cabins in Trinidad for 4 nights (visiting Redwoods, Patrick Point, and generally just hanging out)
- Benbow Hotel in Garberville for 1 night
- Little River Inn for 2 nights
- Point Arena Lighthouse for 2 nights
- Sacramento for 1 night
- Flying home next morning

This incorporate a loop suggested by Gardyloo on another thread for Avenue of the Giants, and I've allowed most of a day for just that. Again, I'm grateful for everyone's generous advice.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Tomfuller, I want to thank you for your suggestions. I've followed your posts concerning train travel and alternatives to car journeys. We have long had some train trips on our list, and your insight on connecting transportation is quite helpful as well.

MichelleY - i grew up in Antioch (the armpit of the Delta). When I was 18 and had to move my horse to pasture and she would not enter a trailer, I rode her all the way to Rio Vista. It's no doubt changed so much since then, I actually prefer my memories of those deep dust walnut groves than housing sprawl...

janisj - DH was thrilled by the idea of sleeping in a caboose. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Thank you so much!

Underhill, have you been to Daffodil Hill (outside Volcano)? I used to attend the old Methodist Church when you first come into Sutter Creek.

Old Jan 25th, 2019, 07:01 PM

Daffodil Hill had to cancel its season last year due to weather But I do try to get up there every 3 or 4 years.

I love the Benbow. I've only stayed in the smallest (Historical) rooms and want to book one of the terrace suites next Fall . . . or maybe over Christmas. It really IS just like a Olde World English coaching Inn set on the edge of the Redwoods. Except for the bar stools, the bar IS just like one of my favorite pubs in Yorkshire.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Ah, too bad! Thought so at the time we were there, too warm early and then snow. I was so hoping to see some daffidils, since they are not a thing here in Florida. But Volcano had some early flowering.

So, as to Benbow - perhaps I should book 2 nights? All these stops are so close together relative to past trips. I want to spend adequate time, since we really don't expect to be able to repeat this trip.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 07:25 PM

Antioch, Brentwood, even Byron; bunch of houses. I worked for a tomato cannery in the early 80’s in the Brentwood/Byron area. So sad to see such a beautiful area paved over with track homes.

Let us us know if you can meet up with the Sacramento area Fodorites!
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 07:40 PM

>>So, as to Benbow - perhaps I should book 2 nights?
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

MichelleY - what a coincidence! My mother was the bookkeeper for a cannery in Antioch for years. I also worked at the cannery one season. Such hot work, if you're not in the office. I was reminded of the cannery when we were up at Prince Rupert and toured the old salmon cannery. As to Sacramento - yes, I think we could work it out. Somewhere around October 11-12ish?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -