Fall foliage routes in Connecticut

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for a good loop or routes to take to see the fall foliage in central Connecticut, near Wethersfield? Or anywhere else around Hartford, or the coastal areas? Good brunch or lunch places in the area?
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:38 AM

Check out Yankee magazine online for great suggestions.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Old Wethersfield is one of the prettiest spots around central CT. If you go in October they usually have a scarecrow "parade" around town. be sure to stop at the Main Street Creamery for amazing ice cream. The Spicy Green Bean Deli is great for a casual lunch-- sandwhiches, etc but it's small. Definitely drive around the green and main street down to the cove. I've never really done a drive for leep peeping per se, but that's a good start!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 05:15 AM

We're from UK but will be going through CT towatds RI next week. From the guide books a nice route given is (Eastern side of CT) Woodstock to Lisbon on route 169 this is supposed to be very scenic and pretty. Also the towns of Chester/Essex
and old saybrook are supposed to really pretty.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:08 AM

I would do a loop that includes Haddam, Chester, Deep River, Essex and cross the CT river and then do Old Lyme, Lyme, East Haddam. If you decide to go down to that area I'd be happy to igve you some more specific routes, sights, stopping places, etc. Here along this route you would see some quintessential New England villages.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

odie1, your route sounds good. I've been to some of these places , but not in the Fall and wanted to maximize the leaf-peeping potential. Any of your suggestions for that area are welcome.

emcash,I've been to some of the
historic houses in Old Wethersfield. It is a lovely area.

Any good routes (other than just driving the Merritt, which is pretty enough) on the way back to NYC?
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

topping for more ideas
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM

janie,
Are you coming and going from/to NYC? Just for the day?

Jane
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Jane, I'm coming to and from NYC for a couple of days.
The only driving I've done in CT is Litchfield county or in the Greenwich to New Haven area, so I could use some food (especially lunch or brunch ) ideas, and pretty leisurely driving routes closer to the Hartford area. Thanks
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM

One suggestion you might consider is to drive to Woodbury (just west of Waterbury and Middlebury) and go to Carol Peck's Good News Cafe for lunch. It's my favorite restaurant on the planet. website: www.good-news-cafe.com

Then drive on Route 6 west through Woodbury, turning north on Route 47 to Washington Depot.

OR take a drive through Woodbury and then head back toward Rte 84 east to Rte 691 east to 91 north to Wethersfield.

You mentioned the shore as a possibility. If you wind up driving on Rte 95 east of New Haven, there is a great Thai restaurant on the Guilford green easily accessible from Rte 95. Take the exit for Goose Lane, follow signs to the Guilford green and you'll see it just down a lane a few yards from the shops along one side of the green.

The foliage in eastern Connecticut is fabulous at the moment. We are supposed to get some rain this weekend. I hope there are no high winds to knock the leaves off. Fall is my favorite season.

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM

A postscript to Ann Riley:
You mentioned taking Rte. 169 north to Woodstock. This is definitely an exceptionally scenic road in Connecticut. The best place to stop for a meal on Rte. 169 is the Vanilla Bean Cafe in Pomfret at the intersection of Rtes. 169 and 44. It's an informal cafe with excellent food and daily specials. If the fish cakes are on the menu, I highly recommend that you order them. They are delicious! Website: www.thevanillabeancafe.com

As you continue north from Pomfret on Rte 169 to Woodstock Hill where the "Pink House" is located, you'll see the Apple Barn on your left, a great place to buy some local apples.

To go from Woodstock to Rhode Island on back roads, take this route: once you reach the Pink House, turn around by driving around Woodstock Common so you are now driving south on Rte 169. For a short distance Rte 169 coincides with Rte 171. When Rte 169 turns off to the right, continue on Rte 171 south for about a mile. Watch for the third road on the left, West Thompson Road, and turn onto West Thompson Road, meandering on the same road until you cross the West Thompson Dam. Continue a short distance to the stop light where the West Thompson Road meets Rte 12. At this intersection, West Thompson Road ends and changes its name to Rte. 193. Drive straight ahead up the hill on Rte 193 north to the picturesque village of Thompson Hill. When you get to the blinking light by the Thompson Congregational Church, go right onto Quaddick Road, continuing for about five miles as the road changes names and moves from Connecticut and into Rhode Island. When the road ends in a T, go left onto Rte 44 east. You are in Rhode Island now. Continue on Rte 44 east through Chepachet and Greenville to Rte. 295 south or north, depending on where you are going to wind up in Rhode Island.

You will definitely enjoy this drive!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:41 PM

I really like Odie's idea and route. And Old Wethersfield is a great choice also.

In other parts of the state, if you come on I-84, you can take Rt. 8 north, which will take you near Litchfield. There is a great restaurant there called West Street Grill. You should make a reservation for lunch this time of year.

You can continue up Rt. 8 which takes you near Riverton. Traveling east from there towards Hartford you can go thru Hartland, East Hartland, North Granby, West Granby, North Canton, West Simsbury. Any of those towns are pretty. I would just avoid Rt. 44 in that area because it is a major highway with lots of lights.

Jane
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 07:39 AM

janie-
I'm not quite sure which direction you will be coming from, I originally thought coming down from Hartford but then it seems maybe from New Haven so since I am not sure I will tell you from Hartford:
91 south to 9 south exit 7 for East Haddam take a left. You are now on Route 154 follow this south along the CT River, look back when you see the river and notice the Goodspeed Opera House (you will come to this later). Enter Chester limits and take a right on Water Street (It is a light at the bottom of a hill, there is a little colorful restaurant on the corner). Follow this into Chester Village,take a left at the stop sign and continue through the village. Next stop sign you go straight (towards the left not up the hill) until you come back to the junction with 154 again, take a right and continue on through Deep River until you see the Adams Grocery store on your left take an immediate left after that (I believe the street name is Essex Road) and stay on that road until you come to a stop sign. Go straight (not up the hill) you are now on River Road. This is a beautiful drive along the CT River that winds through Deep River and Essex. You are on this road for a few miles until you come into the village of Essex. If you want to get out and walk around take a left at the stop sign here (make sure you go around the rotary) if not continue out to the right. Head to the light and take a left (you are now back heading south on 154). Continue on this road until you come to a junction (There is a blue Thai restaurant at the junction) veer right and then get onto Route 9 South. Follow 9 south to 95 north (yes I know it doesn't make it sense but you do take a south road to get to a north road) Cross the CT River and get off at the first exit Old Lyme. Take a right and head down 156 south until you come to McCurdy Road, take a left and travel through the old section of Old Lyme. When you get to the stoplight (Halls Road) take a left stay on Halls Road until you return to 156 and take a right. You stay on this road for about 10 miles or so. until route 82 then take a left. Stay on this road until you come to a junction (there is a little country market and an herbery here) and head straght towards Hadlyme Ferry (route 148). You will come to a stop that says Hadlyme Ferry left Gillete's Castle right. If you want to stop and check out the river, turn left there's a good parking spot right there(it's only a minute detour). Otherwise head left onto Geer Hill road, towards Gilette's Castle. This road turns into River Road. Continue on until you see Gilette's Castle State Park, take a left and you can drive through here (very interesting) and you can even park and get out and walk around and check out the views (unbelievable). All of this is free, there is only a fee if you want to go inside the Castle, which is also very interesting. Return to River road and continue north (left) until you come back to the 82 junction, take a left. Continue on for a few miles and watch for the 82 to turn to the left, towards, East Haddam. Follow this until you come into the village of East Haddam where you'll now be back at the Goodspeed Opera House and the Swing Bridge. Cross the bridge and take a right on Route 154. Stay on 154 until 154 ends back at route 9. You will pass other entrances to route 9 but wait until you come into Middletown city limits, you will see The Blue Coyote restaurant on your right side and a sign for Pratt and Whitney get on route 9 north and head back to 91 north to take you to Hartford.
As for places to stop and see and eat:
Chester is a great town, very artsy. Good places to eat are the Wheatmarket (below the main street), Simon's Mareketplace (on the main drag) note: neither of the previous two are full service places, and River Tavern (more upscale not the same feeling as the other places but excellent food), and The Pattaconck which is a local tavern (I haven't eaten here for a long time but I hear the food is still good) both the RT and TP are full service.
Essex is a very historic sailing town, the Oliver Cromwell was built there, there is a neat museum at the foot of main street with a lovely town green as well. Both are right on the water. Places to eat include the Black Seal, the local tavern with good food, Village Provisions, take out as well Olive Oyls, also take out so depending on the weather you can get take out and go sit at the park overlooking the water or the foot of main street. You should pop into "The Gris" which is an inn and restaurant that has been in continuous operation since 1776. Great place for a drink! Food is hit and miss.
Old Lyme-The Florence Griswold Museum is a quite notable. There is a sandwhich shop on the left on McCurdy Road which is good, The Old Lyme Inn which is straight ahead of you when you come to Halls Road, (but check ahead to see if they are still serving lunch) and there is the Hideaway restaurant in the shopping center on the right on Halls Road, I haven't eaten there in a long time but there is not much to it.
When you get to the junction of route 82 and 156 there is a golf course in front of you "Devil's Foxyard" they have a very nice restaurant open to the public which has a beautiful view over the surrounding hills. Take a right at the junction and then an immediate left towards Devil's Hopyard State Park (also worth driving up to Chapman Falls) and then a right into the golf course.
After that there isn't much more that is notable, that I know of. There is a restaurant at the Gelston House in East Haddam (next to the Goodspeed) but I haven't eaten there and I don;t think it has gotten good reviews. There is a Subway on the right once you go over the swing bridge.