Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fall foliage one day self drive from NYC, where is the best scenic route?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We usually go upstate for 3-4 days this time of year. This year we only have one full day. My objective is all about the leaves and colors and more colors. Planning on this coming wednesday, seems to be the only sunny day for this week. I have looked at the I love NY website but it won't be updated until Wednesday and many leaves have fallen due to the rain. It can be any state not too much driving though as i don't drive. Looking for scenic small country roads off the beaten path. Thanks in advance. Good food is always a plus.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

DH drives and I don't. I love foliage him not so much. Since I cannot help with driving, I want to know where I am going and not waste time on the road. Thanks.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Sine you want scenic small country roads off the beaten path" you'll be limited on the overall distance you can travel in one day as speed limits will be lower and you'll also be going though numerous small towns.

One route would be to take route 9 north out of NYC for as long as your "comfortable and take one of several bridges along the route that cross over the Hudson River and then link up with route 9W for the trip back to NYC via the George Washington Bridge.

You can easily map out a route to get "timing/distance" on Google maps or MapQuest.

Another suggestion is to take the NY State Throughway north out of the city to the Catskill Area (exits 17 through 20) and pick up any number of "county roads" that wind through the mountains and valleys. Here again you can use google Maps to map out a route that will "loop around and get you back home at the end of the day.

Just yesterday we made a trip from the NY/NJ state line to Howe Caverns (following the "Scenic Route" listed on their website). It was a nice drive and the tress were just starting to turn. Consider making a similar trip with Coopertowns/Coobleskill and/or Schenectaty (sp???) as your mid-trip stopping points.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 08:50 AM

I would head to northern Ct. in the Litchfield area. http://www.yankeefoliage.com/live-fall-foliage-map/
Towns of New Milford, Preston, Kent are pretty. White Flower Farm is nice to visit if you like gardening. Ideas for lunch here http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ld-ct-area.cfm
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks RoamsAround. I guess some highways for distance views and some small roads for stopping. Last year this time we drove up Garden state north for hours but the leaves didn't turn yet. I want to see bright orange and red leaves. We usually take days off to drive around to look for best colors. With one day we don't have the time to do that. It would be nice if i can get some real life eye witness reports here.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mclaurie.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Not much to see in N GA either -
http://www.gastateparks.org/webcam

Check your own state's state park website for similar webcam shots.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Check out Seven Lakes Drive in Harriman State Park, New York. http://bit.ly/9qbWmN
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bspielman and everyone. Thanks bspielman again for his great recco. We finally decided on the Seven Lakes drive in Harriman State Park, New York and it didn't disappoint. It's relatively short distance but getting out and in NY is always traffic jam. Yes, the colors were not the best this year but it was still spectacular and yesterday was a perfect day with moderate weather and no clouds. WE pinicked on a lake overlooking beautiful scenery, around us were several families of geese bathing and relaxing and munching on grass. On one occasion I threw bread (plain with nothing on it) at them to see how they react, they turn out to love bread and were coming closer and closer. I had to leave as they were all looking at me. We drove around the lakes several times because it was just beautiful and we were also looking for info booths for maps of the park. We finally found the place, very discreet and did not have a big sign. The map with trails costs $10.49 which is fine. The person who sold me the map said the leaves are peaking now, they can go down in less than a week. So I recommend taking a trip this weekend the latest. From the park, we drove to the Bear Mountain which is quite near, we sat there for an hour+ to soak up that mountain air. There were even less red and orange spots there but it was still great and again I recommend it.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Happy you enjoyed Seven Lakes Drive, mohan. It's one of this area's hidden gems, despite being listed among the country's most scenic drives. Next season, you may also want to try Mohonk Mountain House, a lodge that sits perched on a ridge at the edge of Lake Mohonk in New Paltz, the same general area of downstate New York as the Seven Lakes Drive. The hiking trails near Mohonk are very scenic. www.mohonk.com
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 02:30 PM
J62

In case anyone else is considering a fall foliage drive north of NYC. The area just north of the city - Westchester on the East side of the Hudson and Rockland/Orange Co on the West side (which includes Bear mtn/Harriman area) are all very good colors as of today 10/14. I drove the Taconic through Westchester today and it was a very nice drive.

Further North up the Hudson Valley - essentially anything north of I-84 it has been a disappointing season due to early change then heavy rains/winds a few weeks ago that dropped all the brilliant reds and oranges. Storms tonight won't help either.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Just back and crossing the Tappanzee into Seven Lake Drive onto Bear Mountain, looping back to the other side and a stop in Tarrytown for my favorite casual greek Lefties, did not disappoint. What a spectacular park to drive thru!!! We will definately return. The whole peak debate is just that. I think some trees are still turning and have not reached peak, while a mile away the leaves have dropped past peak. The whole are will still be filled with color this coming weekend. Hell my yard is at peak right now in MA while across town all the leaves are down. That's the season this year.

Again thank you thank you thank you for turning me on to Seven Lakes/ Bear area!!!