Reload this Page >

fall foliage begins when???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 12:50 PM
midori

Around what date(s) do the leaves begin to change???

thanks..

[email protected]

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 06:51 PM
Owen O'Neill

Midori -
You'll need to be specific about the area - the further north and the higher the elevation, the earlier the change. The Adirondacks and the Green Mountains in Vermont can begin changing as early as mid - late September and further south (southern tier of NY state and northern PA), it's often not until mid - late October. Night-time temps are also a factor. My personal recommendation is either an Adirondack drive if going early or Letchworth Park (southwest of Rochester NY) if going later. For more info call:
NY Travel & Foliage at 1-800-225-5697 or
Vermont Travel & Foliage at 1-800-837-6668

Not sure if these numbers are current but hope it helps!

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 08:07 PM
Mark

You must mean when does foliage start in Boston since your other post asked about getting there. Foliage starts in October - maybe around the middle. I'm not exactly sure. It's great though. If you do go then, you should take a drive north to New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine.

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 04:28 AM
Ralph

It's a shame that folks who don't know offer advice. If you go to Boston during mid-October, the fall colors will be just about gone. For New England foliage go to www.newengland.com. The map is last year's which will give you some idea. Too soon to predict this year's but new map should be there soon.

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 10:13 AM
Midori

Thank you. My plans are to drive from NY to Boston - via Lord knows what highway right now. I wanted to be able to exit and see NH and some other states while I was at it. The trip is from Sept. 23 (when I'll be in NY) to approx. October 1st..

thank you.