Search

Fairmont Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 09:51 AM
nubee

Fairmont Hotel

Can anyone give recommendation/review of the Fairmont Hotel? Is it conveniently located? How far to walk to good restaurants, etc.?

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 10:59 AM
hamlet

The Fairmont in which city?

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Meg

The Fairmont is a 1/2 block from the French Quarter. It's one of the grand old hotels of the city. It's Christmas decorations are the BEST in town.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 04:56 PM
yasha

If you mean San Francisco, the Fairmont is a grand hotel with commensurate prices. The location offers good views but not much convenience. If you want to drop a wad of cash on plush accommodation in SF, go for it. If you want clean, comfortable and well located not overly pricey, try a place like the Pickwick on 5th Street.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 05:51 PM
susan

I love this thread because we're all wondering if "the" Fairmont is "our" Fairmont! Though I haven't stayed at the New Orleans Fairmont in years - maybe decades - I can certainly vouch for the Fairmont in Chicago. I stayed there several months ago and it's wonderful.

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 03:30 PM
Gail

Just got back from the NO today.If it IS NOLA I would skip it. It just was not as wonderful as it could have been. It was worth a peek at the Christmas decorations which our van driver quite accurately described as the"most gawdy in NO". It was interesting to visit the Sazarac Bar although they stop serving food earlier than I expected.I heard some locals joking about how the reindeer probably don't look any different than last year (and the last 20).That certtainly is part of the charm. Its a great place to peek in but we got much better deals(and ambiance) elsewhere. I got a rate of $139.00 which I think I could have beat if I would have called directly. Time was of short this year but it probably would have been worth $30-$40.00 to call. The location of the NO Fairmont was a little too far to hike at night for me.My feet are still aching!(Had a great time anyway!)

Now San Francisco's Fairmont is beautiful and I feel it is well worth the $$.Good Luck with your choice!

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 08:23 PM
Lulu

Having stayed at both the Fairmont in San Francisco and Boston, I must say their public rooms are beautiful. However, anyone can enjoy those. Their rooms for the price leave much to be desired. We had a Jr. Suite in Boston with a corporate rate of $500.00+ a night and it wasn't much nicer than most hotel rooms. Ditto SF. Save your money stay at a more reasonable hotel and visit their public rooms, which are great.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 09:20 AM
nub

Sorry, I did mean New Orleans. Going in January.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 12:11 PM
lyn

I enjoyed the Fairmont very much. Very elegant old hotel. Some rooms may be better than others, but I understand they were renovated recently.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 12:59 PM
Stan

Sorry to say that the Fairmont in New Orleans has a terrible staff. Be prepared to wait an hour for your car, experience a totally inept checkin and have housekeeping completely forget you are checked in to the hotel. My room was postage stamp sized as well. There are better deals in New Orleans and you won't have to deal with the crack dealers who deal openly on Canal Street.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 08:29 AM
nubee

That doesn't sound good. Any recommendation for a better hotel? I'd like to be in or near the French Quarter.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 06:50 AM
gail

After being at the Fairmont we moved to the Maison Dupuy. We really appreciated how close it was to the French Quarter. We had a courtyard view room and no outside noise to speak of (other than the music in the couryard). It felt comfortable the minute we got there.The staff were freindly and helpful, but I would ask if there is any reapr or construction work happening as that was a little (short-lived) suprise as someone began some work in the room underneath us. We hope to return there next time.I believe the tate was $90.00.