Fairbanks Trip Plan - Any Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hopefully doing a raft/hike trip into Arctic Refuge in June(still waiting to hear the trip will go). I've added couple days before and 6 days after trip. From other posts, I realize Fairbanks is limited but I did a trip 2 yrs ago that included Anchroage, Kenai, Seward, Denali, Mat-Su Valley, so I'm OK focusing this trip on "Far North". Appreciate any comments on itinerary, especially anything that seems a waste or ideas on "not to miss" points of interest. Thanks.

6/15 - fly into Anchorage (better sched options than landing in FB)
6/16 - taking Gold Dome service AK RR train to Fairbanks.(I know it's a long ride, but I like staring out the window at scenery and it will be nice not to be driving)
6/17 - Fairbanks - some ideas: Discovery Riverboat; UofAK Museum; musk ox at LARS; botanical gardens; Creamer field;ice museum; canoeing on Chena.
6/18-6/27 - out of town on my raft/hike trip
6/28 - Fairbanks - anything I didn't get to on 6/17; maybe drive to Nenana if time to spare.
6/29 - drive the Richardson Hwy and back to FB. May go as far as Copper Center or turn around sooner. Depends on weather, stops on the way (anything I shouldn't miss?). I know this is potentially a long driving day, but I like hitting the road to see what's "around the next bend" and don't mind the hours.
6/30 - Anaktuvuk Pass Tour with Warbelows. This is all day, fly there and back, spend about 6 hrs with native guide on the ground. Alternative is a fly/drive trip which means I get to see Dalton Hwy but only have about 1.5 hrs in native village. My thought is have more time to soak up native culture (which is priority interest for me) and skip the road part since I'll be doing alot of driving on my own. Will I be sorry I didn't experience the Dalton Hwy??
7/1 - Was planning to spend a leisurely day heading out to Chena Hot Springs, stopping along way to enjoy scenery, back same day to FB. Other posts, esp from BQ, discourage this idea so I'm at loose ends. Any suggestions?
7/2 - considering fly tour to Barrow. Alternative might be fly/drive to Coldfoot specifically for the Dalton hwy part (see comments for 6/30 above). Barrow options are short high altitude commercial flight with all day in Barrow or longer small plane/low altitude scenic flight with only couple hrs in Barrow. Appreciate any help deciding between these options.
7/3 - home to Maryland.

Sorry for long-winded comments, but I thought it might help to know some of thoughts behind my plans. Greatly appreciate any feedback.

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM

No hiking in Fairbanks? There are some great hikes in the area. Instead of driving all the way to Copper River Center consider Paxson. Drive on Denali Highway from there. 20 miles are paved.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:23 AM

mark
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Mama-

Thanks for comments. I'm a little nervous about hiking alone in bear country! But just in case, can you recommend any specific hikes? So Denail hwy from Paxson would be more scenic than continuing to Copper Center?
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM

A reason to go to Copper Center is to spend time there at McCarthy and or Kennicott, not just a round trip drive with so so scenery. Of your choices, the Denali Highway is definately the better choice in my opinion.

As for Barrow, I don't recommend the day trips, if you can overnight, it's a unique area. I hooked up with a private guide that I spent 3 days with, just excellent. I also was smart enough to haul up plenty of snacks and soda from Fairbanks, Expect triple cost food.

The Coldfoot fly/shuttle trips are a great option too, and definately a good value. I have gone to all three of your Arctic areas with Anaktuvuk Pass the definate winner for scenic flightseeing.

If you have the spare time, Chena Hot Springs is only a 100 mile round trip drive, certainly not a big investment, so don't let me discourage you. I'm just making my comments based on staying there.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

BQ - Thanks so much for your fb. Couple more questions . . .I had impression McCarthy/Kennicoot area is not really accessible given road and rental car limitaions?? Also, with regard to using a "private guide", can you give me an idea of how to go about finding one? Is it strictly "word of mouth" of do they advertise somehow? Thanks.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:51 AM

You fly or shuttle into Kennicott/McCarthy. Definately worth the trip in my opinion. I suggest you contact the King Elder, or Top of the World hotels and ask them for guide referrals?? Then "interview" in advance.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again BQ