Fabled Sights; Favorite Souvenirs?

Apr 20th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Fabled Sights; Favorite Souvenirs?

While sortiing through some old photographs, I came across a beautiful sunset shot. I asked my better half whether that was taken in Key West, Sante Fe, Sedona, Maui, or Jamaica. None of the above--it was taken from our house.

I though it might be fun to share some of the hits and misses; the expectations that are common for certain places & vacations.

The Spectacular Sunset obviously came to mind. We went to all of the aforementioned places and never saw a sunset that came close to the best sunset observed in our own hometown. How about you?

Also, I was curious what other travelers usually end up taking home as a souvenir. I realized that we seem to buy art everywhere we go--nothing fancy, usually folk art from whatever arts in the park festival happens to be going on where we visit.
Apr 20th, 2005, 05:29 AM

beach_dweller, my house sits high up on a mountain and we have this fabulous balcony where we have witnessed the most stunning sunsets. We have had evenings when dinner guests have become completely silent as our dining room became washed with the glow of the setting sun.

The only other place I have come close to experiencing such amazement was watching the sun set on the Pacific Coast in Newport, California with my family - it brought tears to my eyes because we were all together and it was so peaceful. My son captured an incredible photo of that setting sun - those moments are really my "souvenirs".

Apr 20th, 2005, 05:48 AM

fabled sights: this will sound corny as all get out, but the first time i ever laid eyes on the Golden Gate Bridge......wow. that color, the backdrop....it is the 8th wonder of the world in my book!
Apr 20th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Here is a hit about a fabled sight: I had imagined the landscape of Wyoming to be less spectacular than it turned out to be...I was blown away at the buffalo roaming, the Grand Tetons, snow capped mountains, then driving down into the valleys, the absolute silence,and the real Cowboys, ha ha...I just couldn't believe how beautiful that area and driving down through Utah was...I had no idea...I am not sure what I expected specifically but it exceeded anything I could of imagined even though I have seen it in photos, etc...
Apr 20th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Something to which every parent can relate, seeing the world again, but this time through my children's eyes. Having been somewhere before kids is so different than seeing it through their eyes for the first time.

Way too many to list but everything ranging from the first time they saw buffalo crossing in front of us in Yellowstone, driving the Columbia Icefields in Jasper NP, seeing Big Ben in London, the giants in Saguaro NP or the giants of Seguoia NP, whales in the pacific, dolphins in the atlantic, kevin kline at hollywood studio tour (oh wait, that was me who was excited! but really, you know what i mean.

I'll never forget their expressions and their excitement. And like seetheworld, those are my true 'souvenirs', the kind that last a lifetime.
Apr 20th, 2005, 06:23 AM
OO

Wyoming surprised me too Wednesday. And don't forget the color of the sky or the stars at night. I know what you mean by "real" cowboys too, pants tucked into their boots. What a different world we were in. So alien to me then and now. Very peaceful.
Apr 20th, 2005, 06:41 AM

I still get chills every time I see the ocean. I love the look, the sound, and the feel of the water. This is relaxation at its best.

Closer to home, and something I take for granted, is being able to see for miles in the plains of the midwest. The corn and bean fields are beautiful in late June and early July.
Apr 20th, 2005, 07:20 AM

OO, and I'll never forget passing men on the streets who tip their hats and step aside and greet you pleasantly...it was like a time warp...