Search

Everglades Park

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 04:07 PM
Helma

Everglades Park

I'm visiting the Everglades with my family in January. It's our first time there and we can use all the advice we can get. Any suggestions on what to do/see will be appreciated!!

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 04:12 PM
Lyle Ungar

Helma,

Last time I was visiting the Everglades I lost my left shoe so I'm hoping you can find it for me.

It was a size 11 Puma with a nice stipe on the side.

After I lost my shoe I slipped and fell and hurt myself.

I will never go back to the Everglades again.

Yours Truly,
Lyle

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 04:34 PM
JoAnn

Helma, it's been several years since we've been to the Everglades. The second time we went we stayed in the hotel/lodge/motel in the 'Glades. We went in through the main gate near Homestead. Get a map, and make stops along the way, take the hikes, and spend time looking. Then that evening we took a sunset boat ride, with a guide pointing out all the birds. Coming out, we stopped along places we missed on our way in. Air boat rides were frowned on because of disturbing the wildlife. The Everglades are a truly remarkable piece of the US. Enjoy.

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 08:01 AM
Hal

You're going at an excellent time of year. The weather should be warm, but pleasant AND you shouldn't see any mosquitoes which are a problem in the warmer months. If you go to Everglades City (midway on Alligator Alley which connects Naples across to Miami) you'll find more mangroves and variety of nature than if you just stick around the Homestead/Miami side. DEFINITELY go for an airboat ride...it's a blast. And a great way to see just how beautiful the Everglades are. Quite different from the murky swamps of Louisiana (which are beautiful in their own way). Also be sure to take good film for your cameras to capture the clean, pure colors. Enjoy!

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 12:53 PM
mwg

I love the Everglades. A very unusual place. You pick up visitor information at the Visitor Information Center coming from Homestead (I am not familiar with the Everglades City or Shark Valley entrances). The Park Road goes all the way down to Florida Bay. The Best place to see Alligators is at the Royal Palm stop, which is a short distance from the Park entrance. You walk on boardwalks and see tons of Alligators, many up close, as well as various birds, turtles, etc. The Gumbo Limbo trial, a short trail, leaves from the same parking lot and provides a short walk through an interesting dry wooded area. At the end of the Park Road is the Flamingo Lodge, which I think is a motel taken over by the Park Service. It has a very nice pool. We took the boat tour but we preferred renting a canoe and going out on our own. Doing so, we saw a crocodile, which is rarer than seeing a 'gator as well as a manatee, which was a highpoint of our trip. Yes there can be bugs, especially at different times of the day so go prepared with bug spray. The scenery reminds me of African grasslands (which I've never seen). Again ,it is a very special place.