Reload this Page >

Everglades-Miami to Sanibel Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 01:57 PM
marshall

Message: Driving to Sanibel Island, via Tamiami Trail, from Miami area. First time to FL - where should we stay in/near Miami? And how long will it take to drive the distance, with stops for Shark Valley tram tour, an airboat ride, etc? Want to arrive in Sanibel before nightfall.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Patrick

I drive that fairly often -- or at least part of it. It takes almost an even 2 hours maximum from the center of Miami to Naples. Allow another hour to get to Sanibel from Naples. So you're only faced with about 3 hours of actual drive time (assuming you bypass Naples when you get there and take I-75 north from the eastern edge of Naples -- take 951 north from 41 (Tamiami Trail) to get to I-75). Staying on 41 through Naples and on towards Sanibel will add another hour to the time, assuming you are going to be here between now and the end of April.
Are you spending several days in Miami, or just a night? I believe South Beach (Miami Beach) and Coral Gables are the two most interesting areas to stay and play.