Everglades itinery in one day, Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from Naples to Miami through the Tamiami trail Rt.41 during the last week of December and would like to do Everglades in one whole day. Would like suggestions on best airboat and buggy rides, best scenic drive/ walk, any activities that should not be missed?? Also any boat rides into the thousand islands? Please suggest. Thanks.
Preeya
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:10 PM

You will have a wonderful time! Stop in at Clyde Butcher's gallery. He does really large black & white photos of the Everglades and other Florida spots. Don't miss the Shark Valley entrance of Everglades National Park. If you want an air boat tour, check out the Miccosukee Indian site. http://www.miccosukee.com/airboat.html For info on a boat trip in the 1000 islands, call the Rod & Gun Club and see who they recommend.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 06:28 PM

We took an airboat trip last Feb with Airboat USA. They do private tours for a couple of hours or more, depending upon your interests. Much nicer than the touristy tours that take you to the alligator farms. We plan to go back again.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks keysmom and dgarland!
Please suggest a couple of names on the Tamiami trail for airboat rides, where I can also get some presentation on Everglades, the alligators etc. Also any bugy rides around?
At the Shark Valley, how much time is enough? And what are the not-to-miss activities there? Please suggest.
Thanks-Preeya
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone heard of Gator park or Coopertown Airboat rides? Are they good? Also please do suggest other activities on the Tamiami Trail? Also, is the tram tour at the Shark Valley good? Thanks.
Preeya
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM

You'll see lots of airboat rides north of the highway. They are not permitted in the park, so they drive north of the highway (which is not technically the national park). Or so I was told. I've done several, and I think they are all the same.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:54 PM

I would recommend Shark Valley and the Everglades Visitor Center, both are official national park tours. The 2 sites are about an hour-1.5 hours apart.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 07:29 AM

The tram at Shark Valley is very good. It's about 2 hours long. You'll want to go to the national park website for info on times. I think trying to get to both entrances in one day is too ambitious.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 12:34 PM
bamakelly

We did an all-day trip with the Sanibel Everglades Guide (or some name similar to that--sorry I can't remember exactly). It picked us up in Ft Myers. I am certain there are other companies that do this type of thing in Naples. We spent a LOT of time driving, but we did get to see the 3 parts of the Everglades: we did a river boat ride through the mangroves, a nature "hike" (on a boardwalk where the guide pointed out lots of birds and brought us straight to an alligator nest) through the cypress forest areas, and then took an airboat ride through the grasslands. Lunch was included at a delightful little hole-in-the-wall with gator bites. Total cost was about $100 per person. Our guide was fabulous. Was a very relaxing but interesting and educational tour of the Everglades! You might want to look for a similar company out of Naples.

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM

We are staying in Marco Island for Christmas and want to take an airboat trip. Any recomendations? All the companies mentioned here are closer to Miami.
Thanks,
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 04:33 PM

I second the vote for the Shark Valley tour. Air boats are very distructive to plant life. Sure they are fun, but do you really want to help distroy this incredible area.
If you are ever in the Naples area check out Corkscrew Swamp. An amazing assortment of different areas from "Tarzan" type jungle to broad, tall grass, covered fields. All accessible from a boardwalk.