Everglades Itinerary

Search

Everglades Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everglades Itinerary

Hi there! I have several questions about the Everglades park. We're planning on entering the park at the main entrance in Homestead (Shark Valley's seems a little dull and flat), park the car and wander on a few trails by foot or bike.

I would then like to get from these trails (Anhinga, Gumbo Limbo etc) back to Shark Valley entrance to leave the park, and make a stop at Big Cypress Seminole Reservation (19 miles away) Is that possible to drive back that way or do I have to exit through main in/out spot?

Is it "reasonable" time-wise to want to do both the Park and the Big Cypress Reservation on the same day?

Finally, are there any motels along I-75 heading to the Gulf coast? I wouldn't want to drive for hours after such an exhausting day!! Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:13 PM

There are no roads through the park. If you enter at Homestead (really Florida City), then you must leave from there. You'll be on the Florida Turnpike once you leave and can hook up with the road to the reservation. (I'm not quite sure what this is but suspect it is on the Tamiami Trail). What's the rest of your itinerary? It may make sense to do this in two chunks.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Keysmom, thank you for your reply. The rest of our itinerary goes as follows: after the Everglades and the Reservation, we are heading to Ft Myers Beach. That's why I was wondering whether we could find a cheap motel (we're both students) between the Everglades and Ft Myers Beach.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 04:29 AM

I'm sure you'll be prepared but the mosquitos were vicious once you got enclosed by the cypress or other tall brush on some of the trails. my best laugh in the everglades? the sign for Rock Reef Pass, elevation 3 feet!!!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:42 AM

justme22 is right about mosquitos. Be sure to have DEET and long sleeves. YOu'll also want to pack drinks and a lunch. There are soda vending machines at Anhinga but not food.
It sounds like you'll want to leave the park from Florida City (be sure to stop at the Robert is Here fruit stand for milkshakes) and take the turnpike to the reservation. Is that off I-75? I'm not quite sure what this is.
To get info on your Ft. Meyer's question, you should post with Ft. Meyer's or Gulf Coast in the heading. the folks with that info may not read everglades posts.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

justme22 and keysmom, thanks a lot for your kindly advice about mosquitoes!! Rest assured, being one of their favorite victim on earth (and I really mean it), I've made sure to pack DEET and long sleeves. My husband and I are from Europe, where mosquitoe bites remain "reasonable"...unlike the South of the US where I have sometimes found myself wanting to scream because of the itch !! Thanks again for your advice
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:43 PM

When do you plan on taking this trip? Up until November the mosquitoes are terrible in the wooded areas. I have been to the main entrance in October and found the mosquitoes unbearable. Shark Valley is actually a diamond in the rough. I bike it five or so times a year and every trip offers a different experience and sunset. The loop is fifteen miles and at the halfway point there is a lookout tower that offers fantastic views of the glades. On every trip I have to ride my bike around the alligators sunning on the trail. If you're not up for biking there is a tram that does the loop and alot of info on the flora and animals is given as well as the history of the glades. The two main roads that connect to Naples (Tamiami Trail) and Ft. Myers(I-75) can be dangerous so don't drive if your tired. According to the National Park website,the entrance to Big Cypress is on Tamiami Trail also called US41 and so is Shark Valley. If you go to the Everglades main entrance and then go north on the Fl.Turnpike and exit Tamiami Trail and head west, you will pass Shark Valley and then Big Cypress. I don't know what motels are right around there but check the map because you are not far from the south end of Naples and should find a decent place to sleep. I hope this helps and have fun.