Reload this Page >

Everglades - Homestead to Sanibel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Christine

Visiting the Everglades for the first time in April. Plan to spend night in Homestead (after several days in Key West) and drive to Sanibel Island, via Tamiami Trail. Will we be able to make this drive in one day, with stops for Shark Valley tram tour, airboat ride, etc? We must be in Sanibel that evening, but want to take our time driving along the Tamiami Trail, making as many stops as we can. Thank you.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 02:56 AM
JoAnn

According to Expedia Maps it's about 175 miles so the trip is doable. Don't know how long the Tram ride is in Shark Valley, but you should have plenty of time do do what you want if you leave early enough. Enjoy.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Nicole

You will have plenty of time to make the drive, but I'm not sure about the quality of hotels/motels you may find in Homestead. You may opt to stay in Key Largo, about 35 minutes from Homestead. Also, keep in mind that the Tamiami Trail has NO lights, so the drive at night requires extra attention. I've made that drive in the dark many times but if you've had a full day, you won't want to drive the whole way with your eyes tired. Also, driving on Tamiami, especially at dusk or at night, PLEASE drive slowly through the panther area. It is clearly marked. There are only about 50 left! Along the Tamiami, you can stop at the smallest post office. It's about halfway through. Enjoy Sanibel as well. It's a great island. And in Key West, stop in at Kelly's for lunch...

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Larry

If all you are looking for is a place to sleep, there are several "chain" type hotel/motels in Florida City/Homestead that will tdo the job as well as a hotel in Key Largo, for less $. Tamiani Trail is a little dangerous at night as the above poster indicated, but since you are driving it during the day I wouldn't have any worries. I think your itinerary of Key West to Sanibel (with the stops in the 'glades) should be very enjoyable.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Rosemary

We did the trip the other way (Sasnibel/Homestead) a couple of weeks ago. Didn't stop in Shark Valley (had a separate Everglades day)but stopped for a good while in Fort Myers to visit the Edison/Ford house/museums. Did the journey very comfortably, and you will have much more daylight in April.

We stayed at the Best Western in Homestead and it was fine - had a very pleasant courtyard/pool area.