Evergaldes city

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Jason Small

Evergaldes city

Were thinking of staying in a converted bank B&B, has anyone heard anything about it, also what should we do in evergaldes city, how long should we stay and where is some good palces to eat? Sorry lots of questions in one.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Paul

Jason, I assume you mean Everglades City. What is the name of the B&B?

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Patrick

Yes, I have seen the bank B&B and it is rather charming, but frankly unless you just want to chill out and do nothing, about an hour or two in Everglades City is about all I would suggest. It is really a backwater town. There are some very casual fun waterfront crab and shrimp house type restaurants and the old inn or lodge is quaint for a mediocre meal. There is a boat trip you can do for a couple of hours from Everglades city, which I've done with visiting friends a couple of times, but everyone has found it dull. Both times, we saw virtually no wildlife except a few egrets, herons, and other water birds which you can see from anywhere in the area.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:11 AM
rob

.....not really much to do in everglades city. the boat trip mentioned is run by the state park system....i think they have 2 or 3 different routes to choose from....we thought it was OK. theres probably some airboat tours in the area also. E. City might be a nice stopping point on the road to Naples or the Keys...but spending a night there????

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Fwhiteside

Try to see Coral Castle just north of Homestead. Built single-handedly by a man who claimed to have discovered the methods used by the Egyptians to build the Pyramids. His name was Edward Leedskalnin & his is a fascinating story ( features on several 'X-Files' type websites ).

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Terri

I've been to this little town several times and really like it. Last time we were there, we thought about staying at this B&B, but didn't end up spending the night. We did drive by it, and I must say it looked a little bleak and exposed. It may have had something to do with the way the blazing hot sun was beating down on it. However, nothing in Everglades City is going to be fancy anyway. The Rod & Gun Lodge nearby has a good restaurant in a lovely setting. They also rent rooms -- small cabins that are nothing special but are comfortable and cheap. I like the Old Florida feel. I've done the boat trip run by the park service twice and both times was lucky enough to have groups of dolphins follow the boat -- they actually swam alongside and jumped out of the water about six inches from the side. It's true there's not a lot to do, but you can still have a pretty good time overnight.