Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ever use Priceline or Hotwire for Boston Hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Leslie

I am coming to Boston April 19-23 for the marathon and I am looking for nice hotel at a reasonable price. Has anyone ever used Priceline or Hotwire? I don't even know what areas to look in so we would be able to do sight seeing. It wouldn't have to be in the heart of Boston but somewhere relatively close so we could take the T. We would love a hotel with a pool and a room with a little fridge if possible. Also, do any of the hotels offer continential breakfast? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:50 AM
thereuare

Check out biddingfortravel.com

About a year ago we stayed in Boston via Priceline and got the Westin for $61/nite

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:56 AM
ginny

Try going to www.biddingfortravel.com. Then go to the place you want to go. From there go to the hotel list and it will pretty much tell you what hotels are used. If you click on the hotel names it will give you their web-site where you can check out amenities. Of course since you bid on a star level it is not guaranteed which of the hotels you might get.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:57 AM
Jen

Very few Boston hotels have pools. The most convenient areas for tourists, especialy around Marathon time, would be the Back Bay/Copley area (where the race ends) or Downtown.

Watch out for places with "Airport" in their name -- some of them are miles from ANYTHING, including the airport!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Parrot Mom

Your problem is to find a hotel room at Marathon time in Boston.. Many of the popular hotels would probably be booked by now..You will most likely have better luck along Route 128 or even Route 495. Alot of the runners stay at the same place year after year..many have families in Hopkinton they stay with for the experience.. Have a great run...

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:07 AM
gail

While we have used Priceline for some trips, it becomes more of a problem when you add specific to your needs - in your case a pool, fridge and breakfast. While some of the hotels you get on Priceline would have these things, there is no way to specify this sort of thing.

Since it is marathon weekend, you may find a lot of places are already booked and/or have raised their prices. Additionally, this is also Easter week, a busy time in Boston under any circumstances. Add the marathon to the mix, and it just gets worse.

I would shop around on various sites, book your best cancellable rate someplace that meets you needs, and if your are willing to take the risk, give Priceline or Hotwire a try a little closer to the date.

If you are running, good luck - hope for a cool day. If you are watching, a warmer day would be nicer.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:47 AM
tom

leslie

if you dont mind staying a little outside of boston i would rec the marriott in Newton or Quincy. Each 1 is about a mile from a T stop(with parking available).These hotels are alot cheaper than staying in boston directly.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Sandy

We've gone to Boston for Marathon Weekend for a dozen or more years. You must shop around, then try Priceline or Hotwire.

Regarding Tom's advice, rates at the Marriott in Newton and Quincy are $209 and $189, respectively, whereas Hotwire is offering a 4* (WITH A POOL) in the Back Bay for $135/night.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Andrew

I used Priceline to get the Holiday Inn in Brookline for $55/night for a Fri and Sat night stay June 2002. Ideal for the marathon route - it's ON the marathon route, on the T-line, with a pool. However, if the Holiday Inn is booked up for that big weekend already (check it - bet it is) you most likely will not get it on Priceline or Hotwire.

FYI I got this bidding for a 2-star on Priceline, though the hotel was a very nice 2-star.

Andrew

Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How soon (or late) should I place a bid for a hotel?
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used priceline to bid for hotel in Boston. My trip is 7/4-7/6 and I started and finished bidding in May.