Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ever had the fire alarm go off at hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone ever have the fire alarm go off in the middle of the night at a hotel (not smoke alarm)? One time while staying in Toronto Canada the fire alarm went off about 3am, we were on the 22nd floor had to use the stairs, luckily no fire, just the humidity somehow set off the alarm. That same night the alarm went off again about 5am same reason. Suffice it to say, not much sleep that night.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Fire alarms go off at 3 am and 5 am in all Canadian hotels, I thought that was common knowledge travdis.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Gee, Emucom, you don't seem to get much sleep in hotels. You should stay home
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM

If my choice is between being awakened by an alarm and burning up in a highrise fire, I will take the alarm.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM

It wasn't the fire alarm - it was the troll alarm.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 01:14 PM

3am middle of the night?? Closer to my wake up call....
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 01:27 PM

We had one go off in London. While we were running down the stairs the firemen were running up. They made us go to the park across the street. It was a false alarm.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

This actually happend to us at the Delta Chelsea in Toronto. To those who think im posting as a 'troll' (whatever that means) I assure all that i'm legitimate. Don't know who 'travdis' is.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 02:24 PM

Seems like a valid thread to me. We had one go off around 4am at the Royal Sonesta in on Bourbon in New Orleans last month. It was our first night and we had been looking forward to getting caught up on sleep while our parents watched our kids - the alarm didn't really fit into that plan! However we laughed it off knowing it was in our best interest - luckily it was a false alarm. It was interesting being on Bourbon at 4am with fellow guests in their jammies. There were a handful of people who complained about the alarm at the front desk - I wondered if they actually thought it was the hotels fault or if they were just trying to get something for free/a discount by making a fuss.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Snowrooster...

I also remember people at the front desk complaining about the false alarm!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 02:35 PM

I had one go off at the beautiful new Marriott Liverpool airport about 2-3 years ago but it was in the afternoon. The upside? Standing outside with all other guests and employees I got to talk to a beautiful, young EasyJet FA and she agreed to have drinks with me later in the evening.

Last year we received a warning of a possible attack on our Kabul hotel, but we were too drunk to care. Nothing happened.

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Not in the middle of the night, but first thing in the morning. It was in Houston, and we were just leaving to catch the hotel's breakfast when the alarm went off. Exactly as I shut the door to our room. Luckily the hotel was only two storys, with the second story open to the lobby. I asked the front desk if there was truly an emergency, and the clerk stated it was only a false alarm. We decided to take the stairs anyway.

As we were trying to eat our breakfast through the din of the alarm with our fellow guests, another hotel employee came rushing through urging everyone out, that there truly was a fire. We grabbed our bagels and coffee and found benches outside just as the fire trucks were pulling up. Watched them for the 1/2 hour or so they were there until we finished up and took the shuttle to get our car rental.

There never was a fire.

Needless to say, I was a little leery the next morning when it came time to check out to go home. I didn't want to shut the door.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Even though this has got to be a troll...I will cave, lol! Two stories.

1--DH was on a 6 month deployment, and 3 month into it we got word they would pull into VA for emergency repairs. So wives and children made a mad dash road trip from CT to VA. Everyone got rooms at the Navy Lodge. Yup, the fire alarm went off 3 times that night. Mind you, none of us had seen our husband in 3 months...so let your mind wander

2--At homecoming for our University. Turned out to be a real fire. Someones blowdryer over heated. Anyway, we had to feel our way out of the hotel. A few of the young coeds came out to the parking lot in only towels. They were mighty cold in November in Oregon!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Many years ago, the alarm went off in The Westin Harbour Castle in Toronto in the middle of the day. It was during the hockey playoffs and the Buffalo Sabres were staying in the hotel. The bodies in the lobby were hotter than the fire.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Several years ago, we were the biggest jinx's that ruled the planet.
Every hotel we stayed in, the fire alarm would go off. Sometimes we were on the 16th or 17th floors and had to go down the stairs because no one is to use the elevators. This also happened to us in the middle of a flight, and we had to turn around and go back. Luckily, this dosen't happen to us anymore.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Mine is kind of a funny story, but you need to know my mom to appreciate it. She's quite a curmudgeon, very negative, whiny, codependent, etc. But once she lands in Vegas, watch out! It's as if the aliens abduct her and replace her with someone else who is assertive, positive, alert, etc.

One night the fire alarm went off at about 3 a.m. I stumbled to the door, felt the door first then opened it. Lo and behold, there was a stampede of senior citizens herding down the hallway! As I tried to figure out how to join the stampede without being trampled, I heard my mom's voice at the end of the hallway booming, "It's all right, everyone! You can go back to your rooms! It was a false alarm. I've checked with security and it's a false alarm." Eeeh? She was showing assertiveness and leadership? Needless to say, my family and I were talking about that one for a very long time.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 03:21 PM

One night not too long after 9/11 I was on a girl's shopping trip to Atlanta. Stayed at Lenox Marriott and fire alarm went off about 3 o'clock. Treked down stairs and when we got outside there was this man standing in a bath towel! nothing else. We laughed our heads off. A travel memory if there ever was one.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 03:51 PM

As I was reading this I heard sirens out on the street, and they just stopped at our building, better run and see if we have problem........
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 04:18 PM

PHEW, it was the building next door, and a neighbor said it was a kitchen fire. Never a dull moment around here,,,,,lol.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 07:13 PM

"Hi, I'm Emucom. I'm lonely. Can you tell me a bedtime story?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -