Reload this Page >

European visitors in Miami and the Keys

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Francis

My girlfirend and I ,from Paris, have planned to visit the south of florida for easter holidays(from Apr 27 to May 5).
Is it an expensive season ?
The plan would be 3 Days in Miami, 1 day in the Everglades,and 4 days in the Keys.
Is it a good plan ? Is it an expensive season ? We'd like not to spend more than $50 a night. Is it faesible ? What about campings, are there cabins ?
Any suggestion is most welcome.
Thank's a lot.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Joe

The Clay Hotel and International Youth Hostel in Miami Beach is not expensive, and it's in a great location.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 10:16 AM
Owen O'Neill

I believe you'll be there in between "high" and "low" season in terms of rates. Realistically, you'll have to look at hostels or camping to stay in that budget. You may find motels here and there at $50 per night or less but not in desirable areas and probably not close to where you wish to be. There is camping in the keys but I believe it's further up the keys from Key West in a state park. Sorry but I have no input on camping in the Miami beach area. If you can push your budget up to $65 per night you can probably find some moderate hotels in South Beach that are a few blocks from all the action and I'm quite certain you can find a room for two in any number of Key West guesthouses at that price. If your time in the keys is focused on being at one with nature, the camping is a good option. if you want to be able to hang out where lots of people, restaurants, clubs etc. are then you must pay the higher price and stay in Key West. Be sure to look for a place in Old Town. There a few chain motels and inexpensive independent motels that are not in easy walking distance from Old Town try to avoid those.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 12:56 PM
TW

I would reconsider camping. I once camped in a tent in the Keys in April, and it was absolutely sweltering. It was virtually impossible to remain in the tent or sleep after 6AM due to the heat. Since the climate to which you are accustomed has not prepared you for Florida heat, I would suggest you stay someplace air conditioned.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 03:31 PM
susan

I agree with the previous post about camping. I was in Key West last May and it was VERY hot and humid. There's a hostel there you should look into.