Estes Park to Grand Lake?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far is it from Estes Park to Grand Lake? Am I correct that you can travel through RMNP to get there instead of traveling around it? Thanks.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:54 AM

My map says 63 miles from Estes Park via Trail Ridge Road.

It is one of the most scenic drives in the US.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:41 AM

I've done the drive across the park - it's spectacular. I believe that it's the highest road in the US (12,000'?). It's amazing being above the tree line. We saw some interesting wildlife up there. Are you staying in Grand Lake Lodge? If you're not, you should check it out anyway. It's a nice place to relax & have a drink or a meal.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 03:44 PM

We did the reverse drive (Grand Lake to Estes Park) yesterday and it was truly beautiful. It took us about three hours - we made several stops to see wildlife (moose, elk, deer, fox, coyote) and take photos. The park fee is $15.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for you help.

Suzanne, I am looking at starting to plan a vacation for early next summer so I do not know yet where we are going to stay. I will however look at Grand Lake Lodge.

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Book early. I was trying to find something near Grand Lake for a vacation and experienced difficulty. There's more to chose from on the eastern side of the park than the western. I'd book something now and change it if you change your mind.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:08 AM

I stayed in one of the cabins at Grand Lake Lodge - though I did not really like the accomodations there (uncomfortable bed! Though they may have replaced them in the past 8 years) the physical "lodge" that holds the restaurant is very cool. I just remember a huge fire in the middle of the room with rocking chairs circling it. A cozy, quintessential Western-type place.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Love this route. We usually go this way. Grand Lake is a great litte town to spend a night or two in.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:22 AM
MaureenB

Grand Lake Lodge has the best restaurant, with a lovely porch overlooking the gorgeous lake. You can sit on the porch to eat, or in front, while waiting for a table. Definitely catch a meal there. The lunch menu is nice, too. The lodge itself is something to see-- definitely a Colorado landmark. We've never stayed there, as we have a place ourselves in nearby Winter Park, but the housing does look a bit on the rustic side. There's a nice dude ranch between Grand Lake and Granby, called the C Lazy U. You can tell I'm partial to this area over RMNP-- usually less people, more of an openness to the scenery, more real than cutesy. Trail Ridge Road is a beautiful drive, if you decide to go that direction first. Don't miss it's high alpine scenery.