Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

ESTES PARK - Need a Restaurant Recommendation!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! My husband and I are celebrating our Anniversary this weekend and I need a recommendation for a nicer/romantic restaurant in Estes Park if possible! I looked the restaurant section on here and I only saw one place that sounded somewhat appealing. Any suggestions from people who know this area well?!Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:53 PM

LenLeigh, not sure if this helps http://www.innofglenhaven.com we had a memorable meal there though 7 years ago. It is/was a small intimate gourmet
resturant. You may want to call to get a feel for it to see if they still offer a menu that interest you. It is a few miles from Estes.

Sorry not more help.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 01:42 PM

If you like Italian, go to Dunraven, the one that's on the road to the Y, not the one in town. Nikki's used to be wonderful, but the service has really gone down hill
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:30 PM

Lenleigh,

Although it's been a couple of years, we had a pretty nice meal at La Chaumiere. LC is a French/Continental restaurant about twelve miles outside of Estes Park. The restaurant is fairly small, quaint and fairly romantic (at least for that area). The food was quite good and the prices were very reasonable.

If you go to http://www.lachaumiere-restaurant.com/home.html you can take a look at both the place and the menu. I realize it's a bit of a drive from Estes but I'm pretty certain it's not more than twelve miles.

Happy Anniversary!

Strive
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! Now I just hope that the town does not flood with all the rain we have been getting!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Try the Bald Pate restaurant up the hill towards Allens Park. Very Romantic.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 12:08 PM

I'm going to be in Estes Park next week - any other suggestions? It doesn't have to be fancy, just good. We like everything - Italian, Mexican, steaks, fish, etc. Thanks everybody!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 12:40 PM

beckers2482,

Unfortunately the only time I drive through Estes Park is on my way to Grand Lake. I only came on here to say I still hear good things about La Chaumiere in Lyons (about 10 -12 miles from Estes)
http://www.lachaumiere-restaurant.com/
And to warn you that The BaldPate Inn, while a very interesting place to visit, only offers soups, salads and breads. Granted they are all home-made and very good--just didn't want you driving up there expecting something different.

By the way, Th BPI is worth a little drive and the views are spectacular. Great place for lunch.

Good Luck.

AL
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Thanks AL! I appreciate all of your help. We are leaving Friday morning, and I can't wait!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 12:54 PM

My pleasure! Where else are you headed--other than Estes and Colorado Springs?
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Unfortunately, Pike's Peak is out. My fiancee and I negotiated, and I traded it for Mesa Verde.

A short itinerary -

1 night in Burlington (after a long day of driving)

2 nights in Estes Park

1 night in Steamboat (fiancee wants to fish somewhere in the Steamboat area - any suggestions?)

Visit Dino National Monument and then 1 night in Grand Junction

Visit Colorado National Monument then 1 night in Ouray

Million Dollar Hwy and 1 night at Mesa Verde

We are going to wing it from there - maybe a side trip to Four Corners or a detour through Taos (never been there). But I love Wolf Creek Pass, and especially the drive to the top where the weather station is. I usually don't like to make reservations and prefer to wing it for the whole trip, but I was afraid to do that this time because I'm using hotel points. I knew all that business travel would eventually pay off.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Whew! That's quite an eclectic list! Have you been to these places before? If so, which ones?

As far as fishing is concerned, if it's fly-fishing you're talking about I'm afraid I can't help you. If, on the other hand, you want lake fishing, I would suggest stopping in Grand Lake. It's right on the other side of RMNP from Estes and it offers two lakes (connected) to fish in: Grand Lake and Shadow Mountain Lake.

If you've read any of my Colorado posts you'll know that I'm partial to the town of Grand Lake anyway (prefer it over Estes, etc.). In addition to the fact that it's a small, easily walkable town with some good lodges and restaurants, it also has two marinas with boat rentals. One marina is right in town (end of Main Street) and is rather expensive. The other, however, is right past town on the left hand side of the road as you're heading toward Steamboat. This marina (forget the name) is much more competitive and will set you up with everything you need for a day--or half-day--on the lake. Grand Lake itself, by the way, is about 400` deep.

AL
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 08:25 PM

Thanks AL! I am partial to Grand Lake, too. The only places I haven't been to are Dinosaur National Monument and Colorado National Monument. Dinosaur was one of the two things my fiancee really wanted to do this trip, and we are planning CONM just for a quick drive thru since neither of us have ever seen it.

I know, it sounds like a lot of driving - I am just waiting for someone out in Fodorland to say "Why don't you stay in one place?" NO WAY! There is too much to see. My family has gone to CO for vacation since I was little, always on driving trips. I wouldn't know what to do if we stayed in one place for a whole week. I took my future husband last summer, and now he's hooked, too.

Thanks for the tips about the marinas in Grand Lake. I am hoping to spend a few hours there, and I'll cry if I can't eat at The Rapids...please tell me it is still there!

BTW, we are also considering a visit to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science (as we pass thru on the way to RMNP) - is that the same as the Denver Museum of Natural History?
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:32 AM

beckers2482,

Obviously, you know what you're doing so I'll leave the "Why don't you stay in one place?" lecture for someone else. I think your trip sounds great and I figuered (based on your destination list) that you must have done some of it before.

Yes, The Rapids is still there. Too bad you're not spending the night in Grand Lake as you could have breakfast (or lunch) at the Grand Lake Lodge (what a view!), go fishing and then take dinner at The Rapids. Perhaps next time.

As for the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, we were just there three weeks ago. BTW, it is the same as the Museum of Natural History, they just rennovated it a year or two ago and added a permanent space exhibit, updated the planetarium to digital and re-worked the dinosaur exhibit. After all that they felt they had to give it a new name.

Right now the temporary exhibit is
Lewis and Clark: The National Bicentennial Exhibition. I haven't seen it yet but heard it is excellent. We plan to return for it in a couple of weeks.

If you go make sure to leave time for their incredible dioramas and the re-vamped dinosaur exhibit--both are wonderful. Also, if you've never been to a new digital planetarium, go to this one! See any show you can! They have three that rotate in order all day long and none is longer than 30 min. This new planetarium knocked my socks off!

Let me know if you have any other questions as I'm glad to help if I can.

Have a great time!

AL
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:56 PM

AL - how much time did you spend at the museum? I think we are probably on the same wavelength about seeing everything and spending time taking it all in.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:23 PM

beckers2482,

That's a tough one to answer. It really depends on how much you like the exhibits and what interests you. For example, the Lewis and Clark exhibit (which requires separate admission) has an optional audio tour which they say lasts about an hour and a half. If you're like me, however, and like to read everything associated with the exhibit (while constantly pausing the audio tour) I'm guessing it may take us around three hours.

As for the rest of the museum, I'm guessing you could do a pretty good job seeing much of it in about 2 - 3 hours. Again, it all depends on your personal interests. Add another 30 minutes if you decide to take in a planetarium show (which I strongly suggest).

Here's how I would break down some of my favorite exhibits, timewise:

1. Dioramas (very well done): 1 hour to 90 minutes
2. Space exhibit (interactive, largely for kids but still with some interesting displays): 30 minutes
3. Dinosaurs (since you're going to Dinosaur you may or may not find this of special interest but it's a pretty darn good exhibit): 45 minutes
4. Planetarium: 30 minutes
5. Various other exhibits: ???
6. Lewis and Clark: 1 & 11/2 to 3 hours.

Lunch before or dinner after? You'll be ten minutes from downtown.

AL
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the breakdown of the exhibits - I expect we will be spending several hours there as we are the type who likes to read everything, too.

We will probably leave Burlington about 7am, so I am guessing we will be to Denver by 10, or a little before. We will probably grab a quick bite at the snack bar, or just eat brunch before we go. We will probably head to Estes Park mid-afternoon and eat dinner after we get there.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Assuming you are coming in on I-70 from Burlington, here are simple directions to the museum:

Take I-70 west to Colorado Boulevard south (Exit 276-B). Go south on Colorado Boulevard for two miles. Turn right (west) at the intersection of Colorado and Montview Boulevards. The museum will be on the LHS.

By the way, keep in mind this is Colorado and, while the museum is quite good (and IMO worth a visit), Chicago or New York it ain't.

AL

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the directions, AL. I have been to all kinds of museums - one of my favorites is the Anasazi Cultural Heritage Museum between Cortez and Dolores. Not big or fancy, but lots of great information and very hands-on. My other favorite is the Museo Nacional de Antropologia in Mexico City - I've seen a little of everything, and I'm looking forward to this one too! Thanks again for all your help.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:30 AM

years ago, i had great meals at "su casa" in estes. if it's still there, i'd definately recommend it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -