Notices

Estes Park in mid October?

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Estes Park in mid October?

My wife and I are thinking a renting a cabin in Estes Park for 4 days but we can't arrange it until early to mid October. What would the weather be like? I'd like to be able to sit on the cabin deck and watch the river go by in the afternoon but am afraid it may be too cold that time of year to relax and enjoy. Would also want to hike each morning. Any comments on weather? Any suggestions on cabin rentals? Prefer something nice and right on the river. Thanks.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think averages in Estes Park for October are highs of mid 60's and lows below freezing. Whether 65 is warm enough to sit out in the afternoon would depend largely on the sun and wind conditions.

Trail Ridge Road, one of the highlights of the park, closes sometime in mid-October, depending on snow conditions.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we live in colorado and sit outside all thru the year. even when it's a bit chilly it'll be sunny and feel much warmer becauase of the lack of humidity. that time of year is beautiful in colo.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd recommend going as early as you can in October, to catch some aspen turning and to be able to drive all of Trail Ridge Road. Afternoons ought to be quite comfortable. You'll be chilly hiking in the mornings, but if you take layers (including a light fleece jacket), you'll be fine. Freezing temperatures don't feel nearly so cold at altitude as they do at sea level. Be prepare for some mild altitude sickness if you're coming from a low elevation.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather may be questionable but there is a good chance that it will be warm, sunny, and dry. Hiking will be excellent that time of year but you may run into a little snow at the higher elevations.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband and I went to Estes Park in mid-October several years ago. The aspen were beautiful then. When hiking, we layered clothing and that seemed to help. T-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets. We ended up with only t-shirts by the end of the trail. The mornings are a bit frosty. Bring lots of hot chocolate, and plan on keeping a fire burning.
We have stayed at several places that were right on the river. We really enjoyed Creekside Suites, Antlers Pointe on the River, and Annie's Mountain retreat. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Hope you enjoy your trip.