Search

Escaping spring break crowds in Florida

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escaping spring break crowds in Florida

Hi,

We’re kicking the idea of going to Florida for a week in March. A few possible destinations are West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale or Orlando. Since this would be in the middle of March does anyone have thoughts on how much of a factor the university spring break crowd going to be? We don’t mind crowds but would like to be able to escape them occasionally and I don’t want to spend the week surrounded by drunk, college kids everywhere I go as that part of my life is behind me......thanks
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM

"Spring Break" usually lasts from mid-February until Easter. I can't speak for West Palm Beach or Ft. Lauderdale, but Orlando should be fairly tame (i.e. no or very few drunk college kids). Orlando is more of a family destination.

Having said that, you might want to avoid Daytona Beach for Bike Week - February 29 - March 9, 2008. Things can get a little rowdy by a small minority.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:31 AM

North Orlando is a great location to have as a base and travel to a variety of locations - Winter Park, state parks, museums, antiques, Leu Gardens, great restaurants & shopping,etc... What are you interested in? This area I speak of is upscale, historic and beautiful.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:45 AM

if you do go to the Winter Park area please check out the Thurston House B&B in Maitland. It's on a very sweet piece of property and is a restored Victorian with lots of in-room amenities, great porches and very nice hosts. It's only a short drive to Winter Park which has excellent restaurants - we ate at a Turkish place called Bosphorus that was quite nice.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Two years ago we spent a night in March in Ft. Lauderdale (had to go across the state on business). It was at an off beach Marriott Courtyard. We hardly got any sleep. The place was filled with college kids up all night carrying on, banging doors, yelling to each other across the courtyard. It was a nightmare. I think Ft. Lauderdale still has a reputation that draws masses of college aged drinkers all through spring break.

I guess we're lucky that here in Naples we don't draw that crowd for spring break (mainly because it's just too expensive?)
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:16 PM

West Palm Beach will not be too crowded with college age spring breakers.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Patrick, that's interesting. Ft. Lauderdale has actually been discouraging spring-breakers, but I suppose some just don't get the message.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 01:55 PM

The Four Seasons at West Palm would be a great option.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 02:09 PM
GoTravel

Easter Breaks happen from March 13-31st and March is peak season in Florida from Orlando south.

Ft. Lauderdale pretty much got rid of the spring break crowds and Palm Beach isn't a college break destination.

Most likely you'll be surrounded by families.

South Florida has gotten a little too expensive for the Spring Break crowds when they can go to Texas, Mexico, the Dominican, and Costa Rica for less money.

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Try New Smyrna Beach, just south of Daytona, especially on the very south end where the cars aren't allowed on the beach. Daytona attracts the kids, all us "old folks" like New Smyrna. We go there every year and love it. Some good restaurants and close enought to all of the Central Florida "tourist traps".
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:56 AM

Sanibel/Captiva are never overrun by college kids... mostly families... the college crowd stays on Ft.Myers beach...
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 08:45 AM
MaureenB

We were in your shoes four years ago, and we chose Cocoa Beach. It was perfect for us. More family-oriented, no Spring Breakers in sight. It's too boring for the college crowd! But it was a great location for us.
>-