Escape Guesthouse, Brooklyn

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escape Guesthouse, Brooklyn

Has anyone stayed at the Escape Guesthouse in Brooklyn? I'm staying there in November and I'm curious to know people's opinions on it. Thank you!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM

I don't know anything about the B&B (looks like it's relatively new?). But it's in a great neighborhood, and super-close to the F subway station at Bergen and Smith.

I googled the place, and the reviews on bedandbreakfast.com look promising... I'd love to know more about it, too!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM

I escaped Brooklyn once and I am not going back.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ggreen! I've never been to Brooklyn and I'm very excited! Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM

Glad I could help!

...I sooo should be doing other things right now - but I couldn't help but give a quick peek at Google to see what I could pull up for you!

These articles are all a little dated, but will give you an idea of the neighborhood:
New York Magazine Neighborhood Profile for Carroll Gardens and Boerum Hill; includes links to other sites (note Boerum Hill subway should read Bergen, not Smith!):
http://nymag.com/realestate/articles...rollboerum.htm

Smith Street Pub Crawl:
http://nymag.com/nymetro/nightlife/barbuzz/11810

Style Maven, Carroll Gardens:
http://www.stylemaven.com/neighborho...k_brooklyn.htm

A caveat, I don't live in the neighborhood itself, but I live nearby and visit friends fairly often for the great brunch restaurants in the area.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, these links are really helpful!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM

www.bococca.com has a great list of restaurants, shops, and bars in the neighborhood. I just moved to this area from Manhattan about 6 weeks ago, so I'm still fairly new myself. The neighborhood is fantastic, especially the shopping along Smith and Court Streets starting at Bergen and heading South.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Again, glad I could help!

There's a typo in lizzie06's post: the website is www.bococa.com (no double c). It's listed along with a lot of other great links on that NY Magazine Neighborhood Profile I gave you (scroll to the bottom of the page).

FYI, "bococa" is an abbreviation/aggregation of the names of the three neighborhoods it covers: BOerum Hill, CObble Hill, and CArroll Gardens. It was created by the same people who run the website. It's a pretty recent addition to the lexicon, an attempt to make a newly hip neighborhood have the same cache as other acronyms like SoHo or TriBeCa - but for marketing purposes.

Directionally, south = away from Flatbush Avenue. And once you get into numbered streets, the numbers increase as you head south.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 07:27 PM

I've only stayed at the Bed & Breakfast on the Park because it's near my cousin whom I visit and I can highly recommend it.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

www.bococa.com is great, it has a lot of useful information! I did research Bed and Breakfast on the Park, but it was not available for the whole time I am going. I think I made a good choice, but was just hoping someone who'd stayed there. Thank you!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Sorry! Excuse the typo. I meant to say I was just hoping to hear from someone who'd stayed at the Escape Guesthouse. Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Hi Guennieca!

I actually attended a wedding in the backyard of Escape earlier this summer. I didn't see all of the rooms, but we did prep in one of the rooms (bottom floor I believe) and I thought that it was very inviting and homey (but not stuffy).

You couldn't be at a better location. I don't know if this is your first visit or not; is it?

A few favorites:
Po - Newish Brooklyn outpost of a well-known Italian restaurant in Manhattan's West Village. You'll want to make a reservation. http://porestaurant.com/main/

Frankie's - This would be a nice walk for you (about 10-15) minutes. More italian...their meatballs were featured in Food & Wine magazine last month. I highly recommend the sweet mashed potato ravioli with sage butter. This is hands down one of my favorite restaurants in New York. http://www.frankiesspuntino.com/457/index.html

Chop Chop
This is a prepared foods shop just around the corner from you on Smith and Dean. It wouldn't be a bad place to pick up something to go or to build a picnic.

Bar Tabac
Smith Street's little piece of Paris...people watching + outdoor seating = a perfect afternoon.
http://www.bartabacny.com/index.html

Sample
This narrow sliver of a bar is great if you'd like an inexpensive glass of wine. It's just at the intersection of Bergen and Smith.

Lunetta
I haven't eaten here yet (high on my list of to do), but a friend here at Fodor's did this weekend and raved.
http://www.lunetta-ny.com/

Homage
This coffee joint just opened around the corner from Bergen on Smith. It serves Mud coffee which is a beloved local brand.

Tea Lounge
A little out of the way but this cafe is great to stop in for coffee, tea (duh), and pastries if you happen to be browsing some of the shops on Court Street, which runs parallel to Smith. It's at the corner of Kane. If you like drinking a decaf cappuccino at 10pm than this place is for you.

I have some shop recommendations too if you'd like (and more restaurant spots too but I'll hold off for now--getting hungry for lunch already!)

All in all, the best thing going for your spot is the fact that it is really a simple trip into the city. I highly recommend jumping on that F train on a Saturday morning and heading up to Union Square/14th street in the morning to check out the market.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Katie, thank you! I'm so excited and will check out the places you mentioned. I've been to Manhattan once before, but have never been to Brooklyn. I'm actually doing a baking experience (kind of like a class, but really seeing how they do their job from day to day) at One Girl Cookies, which is on Dean, so that's why I picked the Guesthouse. I'm so happy to have places in the neighborhood I can go. Thanks again!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM

I don't know why I forgot to mention one girl. The cookies are divine. That sounds so cool. I hope you post a report about the class; I'd like to start something here about classes taken while traveling.

How did you hear about the class?
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Katie: I saw it online looking at a website that offers culinary experiences. I will be in Brooklyn for a week, but will spend two full days at the bakery learning. I am really looking forward to it!
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 06:07 AM

I was just in One Girl Cookies last weekend to pick up a housewarming present for my Labor Day hosts! The cookies are fantastic, and I would also love to hear about the bakery experience.

I can vouch for Lunetta. We had a terrific lunch, and the back yard was a great place to relax.

Frankie's is AMAZING, and I'm excited to try the new Po in Brooklyn. The one in Manhattan is great.

I pick up dinner salads about 2 times a week from Chop Chop - so convenient!
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, my list is growing bigger--maybe I should stay longer!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 06:38 AM

All in all, the best thing going for your spot is the fact that it is really a simple trip into the city. I highly recommend jumping on that F train on a Saturday morning and heading up to Union Square/14th street in the morning to check out the market.

Yeah, but it's also really simple to hop a train to get more of the flavor of Brooklyn!

(Get a map of the city that includes Brooklyn, so you can see these areas ahead of time. Also, know that a Metrocard is good for both subway and bus!)

DUMBO
19th century manufacturing neighborhood turned artists haven, and more recently luxury residences and the shops to accompany them. Think cobblestoned streets, brick warehouses with artists studios, the periodic din of subways overhead on the bridge, yummy food, Manhattan views...

Take the F two stops towards Manhattan and get off at York Street (exit is at the very front of the train headed in this direction). Walk down the "hill" on Jay Street towards the water.
- Grab a great meal at Superfine (Front Street off Jay), where the menu changes daily depending on what's in the market. Great bar, interesting art, and an orange-felted pool table are included in the space. (I love their homemade sausage. And their pork chops. And seafood...)
- Go to Jacques Torres (Water Street between Main and Dock) for his famous hot chocolate, both to drink now and to take home. (But his bakery across the street isn't anything to write home about...)
- If the weather is good, take your hot chocolate to Empire State/Fulton Ferry Park, which extends south from the base of the Manhattan Bridge to the Brooklyn Bridge, with good views of lower Manhattan.
- Wander the cobblestoned streets of the neighborhood for tiny boutiques and upscale grocery stores. I like the imports and the vibe at Journey (Water Street off Pearl).
- When you're done, you can walk over the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan. (The easiest way to get back is to take the R train from City Hall to either Court Street or Pacific Street, either of which is just a few blocks from where you're staying; ask your hotel for help.)
- If you don't want such a long walk, you could go into Brooklyn Heights and walk along the promenade there, with its terrific views of lower Manhattan, Govenors Island and the Statue of Liberty behind. From there, it's a nice walk back to where you're staying.

Park Slope
Classic "brownstone Brooklyn" but with a more established feel than Smith Street. The neighborhood gets its name from being located on the edge of Prospect Park, the largest park in Brooklyn created by the same designers as Manhattan's Central Park.

Take the Brooklyn-bound R one stop to Union Street - or better yet, ask the guesthouse to tell you which bus to take into Park Slope.

Generally speaking, the stretch of 5th Avenue south from Flatbush Avenue to Union Street is filled with fun shops, boutiques, restaurants and bars. The good restaurants and bars continue until around 6th Street. The neighborhood's most famous restaurants are here: Al Di La, Blue Ribbon, Blue Ribbon Sushi. A new bakery called Trois Pommes opened on 5th Ave and Carroll Street; it's been getting mixed reviews on Chowhound...

As the "main drag" of Park Slope, 7th Avenue has a more family-oriented feel and its share of restaurants and shops. (Check out Blue Apron on Union Street at 7th Ave for the neighborhood's compact gourmet grocery.) On weekends, there's a flea market in front of the elementary school (7th Ave between 1st and 2nd Streets). I like to browse the crammed shelves of Tarzian Housewares (7th Ave at 2nd Street). There is a Sweet Melissa outpost across from the elementary school - but I have never been so can't give it a review.

Wander the side streets for classic brownstone architecture. 3rd Street is known for its gardens in the summer, but is still pretty in winter with its wide sidewalk and houses set back from the street. Walk uphill to Prospect Park West (PPW) and then into the park at Union St, 3rd St or 9th St. Or turn left on PPW to where it starts at Grand Army Plaza. There's a small farmer's market here on Saturday mornings. From there, you can walk around the traffic circle past the Brooklyn Library and up Eastern Parkway to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden and the Brooklyn Museum. To get back to where you're staying, take a bus or the Manhattan-bound 2 or 3 train.

Alternately, you could take the Coney Island-bound F train four stops to 7th Avenue and walk up to the park there. This end of the neighborhood is a little less trendy but still nice: get a good strong cup of coffee at Dizzy's on 9th St at 8th Avenue before heading into the park to watch the joggers and any remnants of fall foliage. The original Tea Lounge is here, too, on 7th Ave at 10th Street (other locations are Union Street at 7th Ave and the one Katie mentioned). Walk north along the avenues (cross streets numbers will decrease as you go north, i.e., 9th St, 8th St, etc.) to get back into the heart of the neighborhood as previously described. Each avenue has its own feel: PPW, 8th and 6th are strictly residential, with the grandest homes closer to the park.

Coney Island
Take the Coney Island-bound F train to the end to experience the boardwalk and the winter sea. I can't really tell you what it's like out there in November since I haven't been!

---
Phew. Well somehow I have managed to write a ton here! (Who needs a guidebook? LOL) Do go to Chowhound or menupages.com for more info on restaurants, etc. And enjoy Brooklyn!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Kudos to you ggreen; that's a great post. I think I was thinking more along the lines of folks that might think that it was a complete disaster to stay in Brooklyn if you wanted to see the sights of Manhattan. I guess I just wanted to mention that it's not terribly a long commute to the city.

But you are right... Brooklyn has so much to offer year around. The bus question is a good one; you could make the walk from the guesthouse during the day- it would take about 20-30 minutes I would say to the heart of Park Slope (depends if Fifth Ave. or 7th Avenue is your destination).

You could also walk against traffic up Smith to Union Street; there on that corner is a bus stop for the B71 bus. It goes right up Union across an area called the Gowanus Canal (very industrial, some hidden art places), and to Park Slope. It's probably just over a mile to Park Slope from this corner. The bus will cost $2; you'll need a metrocard (you can buy at the subway station at Bergen) or you can pay exact change with quarters (no dollar bills are accepted).

You could easily spend a full day in Park Slope; paired with maybe a visit to the Brooklyn Art Museum...
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the great info! Are the areas mentioned safe to walk around in the evening?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -