Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Enjoyed Sanibel/ Captive & Islamorada-- need suggestion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a vacation in early April. Had been considering Hawaii & Caribbean but now thinking we would like to stay a little closer to home. Looking for nice beaches, good fishing from shore, good restaurants and some nightlife. Have been to Sanibel/ Captiva & Islamorade and loved both, but looking to try somewhere new. Doesn't necessarily have to be Florida, but can get cheap flights there. Would really appreciate feedback!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:34 PM

I don't have a suggestion for you, but rather am seeking YOUR advice.
Like you, my husband and I were planning to go to Hawaii (in June) but are now trying to make alternate plans that are closer to home. We were actually thinking or going to Sanibel. What do you think of going there in June, though? Any thoughts on that?
Good luck with your plans!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 11:30 AM

melh - I just got back from a week in Sanibel at the Sundial. I'm 40 was w/my bfriend - not sure what you're looking for but there's really nothing to do but relax and enjoy the sun! There are several v. good restaurants but not much nightlife. it's best for relaxing and unwinding. no sites and no water sports and no entertainment. many seniors or young couples w/babies.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Melh,
Sanibel & Captiva are beautiful islands. But I agree with the other post in that there is not a lot to do and definitely not a lot in the way of nightlife. If you are looking to relax and unwide it is perfect for that, though. Hope that helps...
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 06:58 PM

I had been going to florida with friends and family for years and made a change to California this year, went to San Diego and had a great time , beaches, great, museums, parks, the zoo, wine country, golf. loved it! I'm going to go back next year.