Embassy Suites Hotel near WTC - re-opening

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:42 AM
in the UK

Hi

I've just seen (from the banner campaign on this website) that this hotel is re-opening in May.

It seems a bit "off the tourist trail" BUT the rooms seem very large and the price ($279 per night) includes breakfast and a host of amenities.

Its not mentioned on the Rants and Raves section & a search on this site hasn't revealed any information. Has anyone stayed here recently? Would you recommend it for a 4 day visit to NY? I don't mind attempting to use the subway but I'd like to know if its in a reasonable neighbourhood and that we'd be safe using this route at night/on the weekend?

Any info gratefully received - Thanks a million.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:00 AM
John K

Hi in the UK,
The Embassy Suites is in Battery Park City and it is a decent hotel. It has been closed since the WTC attack but more for it being in the heart of the recovery as it was not damaged. I think that $279 isn't a great deal as you can get a hotel room at most hotels in downtown and Midtown Manhattan for similar or lower prices. The following tourist siteses are a quick walk from the Embassy Suites: Greenwich Village, Soho, Tribeca, Chinatown, Little Italy, the financial district-Wall Street- Brooklyn Bridge and Ferries to Staten Island, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Subways to all other areas of the city are a few minutes walk from the hotel. The very big drawback to the location of the Embassy Suites is that it's on the edge of what is now a huge construction zone. I hope this information helps.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:34 AM
In the UK

John - thank you very much for the response - most helpful.

Kind regards

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:47 AM
nyc

The hotel is relatively far from the subway as compared to midtown hotels (especially w/o the WTC stops). For that price, I wouldn't recomend it -I'm actually suprised they are asking that much, that is a pretty much a "full price" rate for nyc these days, as far as I have heard. Although, I guess it is suites - depends on how important a "suite" is to you - if you have kids, etc.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:29 AM
xxx

My family booked this hotel yesterday through Quikbook for $149 weekend nights/$179 weekdays. We have kept our midtown hotel reservations just in case. The question for us is that we're visiting a relative who LIVES in the Finincial District making Embassy Suites a more sensible option for visiting. One way or the other somebody will have to make the trek midtown, so it will be either our relative alone or all of us together. We have emailed to our relative to see what the situation really is with the subway system before making our final choice. But if you want this hotel for a much lower price, try Quikbook (they're the only place I've seen these low rates).

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Ted

Just my opinion, but that's a horrible price ($279) in a horrible location (for tourists at this time). I'd suggest staying elsewhere. Midtown comes to mind.