Reload this Page >

Email facilities in USA

Search

Email facilities in USA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 11:18 PM
Kylie

Email facilities in USA

Hi. I was wondering how easy it is to access either an internet cafe or somewhere that I can send emails to friends and family at home while travelling around the USA next month. We are visiting LA, Vegas, San Fran, New York city and Hawaii. Do they have this sort of service at airports?

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 06:00 AM

Kylie,

In airports, the only email facilities tend usually to be in the "clubs" associated w/airlines (United's Red Carpet, American's Admiral's Club) -- I too wish the airports would "wise-up" on this point, although I suspect security is a big issue.

In the cities, there may be internet cafes (check "cybercafes" on line), but I'm guessing your best bet will be libraries, particularly of universities!

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 06:15 AM

--sorry, me again -- premature posting syndrome:

Re: universities. I was about to say that students in US are the most universally "wired," and that asking students around the university area whether there is a cybercafe in the area will be more fruitful than asking around a tourist area. (Now HERE is a great investment idea.) For the heckuvit I just did a quick Yahoo search on cybercafes, and found that the first two I checked no longer had working addresses. So checking the paper Yellow Pages in your hotel might be a better idea. These place come and go quickly, because more and more Americans have their own connections.

Failing that, univ. libraries are having to become wired quickly (public ones are much poorer and are not getting on line nearly as quickly). But be aware that they are there first of all for research, and they may not be cordial to someone who's main reason for being there is to check email. However, if you know how to telnet out of a browser to your server, or if you have an international account (Hotmail is the big one, although Yahoo is big, too), you can combine research with communication easily...........

Last resort, rent a laptop with built-in modem, which you can hitch up wherever (including in some airports, which may have adaptable phones, even if they don't have computer kiosks yet).

I look forward to the not-too-distant day when all will have hand-held email receivers that can use any public phone.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 07:02 AM
stosh

These two sites should help you locate web cafes: netcafeguide.com and cybercaptive.com

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 11:16 AM
Decent Tropical

"I look forward to the not-too-distant day when all will have hand-held email receivers that can use any public phone."

I'm with you, "online"!

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 11:34 PM
wendy

Definitely get a Yahoo mail account before you leave. Hotmail works sporadically. You can walk into any public library or universities and use their e-mail facitilities. the e-mail terminals at airports are very pricey. Internet cafes are a little cheaper than that.
Have fun here!