Reload this Page >

Ellis Island, Planetarium advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Lorraine

I'm interested in visiting the Ellis Island Museum and the new planetarium during a 5-day trip to NYC. Would appreciate any input about these sites, including best times/best way to go. Staying at the Edison, midtown. BTW, I got tickets for the Producers, but I think the seats are in the rafters.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:49 AM
rosie

We just returned from a trip last weekend and Ellis Island was a highlight. My husband is a history buff and really enjoyed it. The only problem was hundreds of screaming school children out on a field trip. We went on a Friday mid morning and it was crowded. They have guided tours but we opted for a $5 audio tape tour narrated by Tom Brokaw that had great anecdotes and quotes from the immigrants. Really enjoyed that and it took about an hour and a half to get through it. IMO Ellis Island would be most appreciated by adults.
We also saw The Producers from the "rafters" but still enjoyed the show tremendously. Have fun!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Rachel

When you go to Ellis island you are better going during the week. If you go early morning the lines will be shorter. If you are going in the summer I would not consider going on a weekend unless you want to wait in line forever. Definately take the train. A cab will cost a pretty penny.

Your tickets for the Producers will be fine. Even the bad seats aren't that bad and it is a great play.

I don't think the Planetarium has long lines to get in. If you like flea markets there is a nice one on 78th and Columbus that runs on Sunday's. Pair that with the planetarium and brunch at the Popover Cafe (87 & Amsterdam). It makes a great relaxing day. Everything is within walking distance. If you need more information feel free to email me.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Howard

FOr Ellis Island, definitely go early in the day. The lines for the boat and the crowds at Ellis Island are shorter and smaller, respectively. While in that area, you should visit the South Street Seaport and go to the top of the World Trade Center.
The Plantetarium show is a definitely must-see. Again, your best bet is to go in the morning. The American Museum of Natural History is indeed one of New York's treasures.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Howard

PS: YOu'll love The Producers no matter where you sit!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:27 PM
newyorker

The Museum of Natural History and the planetarium are open late on Friday and Saturday evenings until 8:45. If you're not going with kids (or even with older ones) it's the best time to go. Saturday and Sunday afternoons are the worst. Every kid (and every adult who ever WAS a kid) seems to be at the museum/planetarium on weekend afternoons.
The Columbus avenue flea market on Sunday is nice, and there are dozens of restaurants at all price ranges withing a 5-10 block area!

About Ellis Island; The unfortunate thing is that you need to take the same ferry boat as if you were going to the Statue of Liberty. Although Ellis Island won't be as crowded, you still might face a wait of up to 2 hours to get a
boat! I've had some luck taking out-of- town visitors on the first boat Sunday morning (I assume that many people check
out of their hotels on Sunday, and therefore don't try for the ferry ride until after they've checked out?) but once schools are out all over the country (in NYC there's a week or so left), all bets are off.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Cathy

You will really enjoy the Rose Planetarium. We went on a Friday evening and it was so pretty to see the Space wing all lit up. We went earlier in the day to pick up tickets. You could do this and then go out to eat and return for the show, There are many nice places to eat on the Upper West Side. The museum actually has Jazz night on friday evenings in the Rose wing and it looked very nice- a jazz band, cash bar etc...
If you do go early in the day don't miss Sarabeth's for brunch!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Lorraine

Thank you all for such interesting information. I'm leaning toward going to the planetarium Friday evening to also hear the jazz and see the building lit at night. I see from their website that the jazz area serves tapas--is that enough for dinner, or should I plan on dinner nearby (where?) after the building closes as 8:45?

As for Ellis Island, I am unable to visit on Sunday as I'm attending a wedding. So that leaves either Friday or Saturday morning (I can get to the ferry reasonably early, but I hate the prospect of waiting several hours just to get on a boat), or Monday morning after checking out of my hotel. Any votes?

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Howard

If you go early on Friday morning, you will not have to wait hours for the boat. I forget what time the first boat leaves. Maybe someone can post the time. Just be there a half hour before that boat leaves and you should be okay.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:23 AM
rosie

We checked it out when we went and the first ferry leaves at 9:15.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 07:06 AM
rqf

Just got off the phone with the Circle Line. First boat departs at 9am on weekdays; 8:30 on weekends. This schedule is in effect until June 29.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Howard

Knowing the schedule, I would suggest getting there 30-45 minutes before the first departure.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:46 AM
newyorker

Don't count on the 'tapas' as a
substitute for dinner at the Planetarium. For 'real' tapas and dinner-size portions you can go to Sabor on Amsterdam and 82? (83?), or are you interested in another kind of food??.
8:45 dinner on a Friday on the upper west side can involve a wait to get in, so keep that in mind, though it will depend on what dates you're coming to NY.
Weekends are starting to empty out in the neighborhood(people taking vacations when school lets out, weekends in the Hampton, etc) so it CAN actually be easier to get into restaurants on a Friday or Saturday night than on a weekday

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Lorraine

Again, thanks for the help. Any recommendations for a reasonable but interesting restaurant vaguely near the planetarium? This would be for dinner Friday 6/22.

We're staying at the Edison, which has the Supper Club on Friday and Saturday nights. Has anyone eaten or danced there?

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Anthony

There are many great restaurantswithin walking distance of the HistoryMuseum
For French, try Savann, Avenue, or the brand new Ouest. Restaurant 222 serves contiental french in a intimate, homey, townehouse setting. For Japanese, try the Haru for excellent sushi, for the brand new Neo. For latin, try Calle Ocho:for Asian, try Rain ,Monsoon or Ruby Foos. For american, Time Cafe, Hi-life Bar & Grill. For Italian, try Isola. For mediteranian, try Spazzia. For seafood, try Ocean grill.
And yes, the planetarium is BEAUTIFUL at night; that is the view I see from my apt. window; this glowing blue-lit ball amoung the forest of trees......

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Anthony

Oh, BTW, if you are still in town on Sun, 6/24, that is the day of NY's annual Gay Pride parade. It runs from midtown to Greenwhich village down 5th Ave. Definetely something to watch a bit if you are still here.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 06:03 AM
rqf

Isobellas is a restaurant that is popular with west siders. It is on the southeast corner of 77th and Columbus - across from the museum.