Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Economy class only--How do you stay comfortable in an airplane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your secret for staying comfortable in tiny quarters? My feet get swollen, my neck aches, and there is very little room to stretch. I take neck a pillow, but it doesn't help the rest of the body.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:10 PM

After getting swallen feet I asked my doctor for advice.

Wear only loose clothing, including socks and shoes. Drink a lot, get up to go to the lavatory as often as you can. Keep your feet up (on the carry-on) if possible.

Drinks: non-sugary, non-caffeinated unless you're getting withdrawal headache - water, juices.

Before the flight, walk around for at least 30 minutes. Exercise as much as you can. Google for in-flight exercises - I always bring a print-out with me.

If possible, break the flight up. For example, don't fly non-stop from the West Coast to Europe, get a stop-over on the East Coast and walk around.

Also you may want to check with your doctor if you have a related medical condition. I had, and got medicine for it.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Sleeping as much as possible which for me is IMpossible sitting up so I try, whenever I can for long flights, to upgrade for more room.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Get an aisle seat and walk around every chance you get. Buy one of the little foot-rest thingies and use it; elevating the feet really helps.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM

In addition to the above, consider taking an 81mg aspirin for a couple of days before and after the flight(s).
M
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM

As for swollen feet, I have started wearing compression socks (Jobst brand), at the suggestion of a flight attendant who also suffers this problem. These really help the swelling and reportedly also help to prevent DVT (blood clots). My secret for the discomfort is that on long flights I take an Ambien and sleep for the trip. Check with your doctor on this.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:34 PM
TheWeasel

My secret: I don't stay comfortable. It's impossible.

But, if I know I'm going to sleep, I get a window seat. If not, I try for an aisle seat. I think it'd be best to not put your carry-on under the seat in front of you to give yourself maximum legroom.

Walk around if you can (pretend you have to use the lavatory even when you don't), shorten up the flights with connections if you must (only if things are really, really bad for you), and board near the end if possible.

You could just get really drunk beforehand, and then pass out. You'll still be sore, but that should pass about the same time as the hangover and you'll be ready for action.

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:33 PM

I drink and take drugs.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Marilyn, I always knew I liked you for a reason. I go to the same school!
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:11 PM

And it really helps to be short! Me: 5'4", wife, 5'1".

Seriously, even we are sometimes uncomfortable, but I also find walking around and sleeping help.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Cassandra

I have to get a window seat for other reasons, but it does mean I have a couple of extra variations in the basic seated and trapped position, because I can lean against the wall/window with coat or BYOPillow to snooze with the rest of my body at a different angle than just straight ahead. If I'm lucky enough to be traveling with DH, I can also shift around and lean on him or, if his seatback is up and mine is back, I can lean against the side of his seat.

Short version: if you can turn this way and that, you can get your feet going "northeast" and "northwest" as well as due north.

I also do a lot of old-fashioned isometrics and other leg and foot exercises. When I get up to go to the loo, I make a fool of myself doing stretches and bouncing up and down on my toes.

The loose clothing thing is a must.

I also complain to the airlines directly from time to time about the agony of sitting in their seats (not the gate agent and not the FA, the execs!).

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:41 PM
cfc

I march around the airport as if late for a flight right up to boarding time and as possible between flights in a connecting airport. I never, ever sit down in a waiting area unless there's a several-hour delay.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Underhill, what's the little foot-rest thingie?
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:57 PM

LOL Marilyn, I drink too. I would do drugs if I knew which ones would help!
I didn't know btw there was any way to be comfortable in Economy Class offlady. Happy travels everyone.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Offlady, I've heard, like there are neck pillows, there are inflatable foot rest thingies sold in travel stores.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 03:10 PM

If it is an overnight flight, I bring headphones with relaxing music, eyeshades and a neck rest. I don't drink alcohol or caffeine for the couple of days leading up to the flight (I figure I can make up for it at my destination ;-) ). I drink lots of water before and during the flight to stay hydrated. I stretch my legs, move my feet, do little exercises and walk around a bit. Even if I can't sleep much, I keep my eyes closed and try to rest. I place one of the small airline pillows behind my lower back for support.

Even with all that....it helps, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I am actually comfortable. And, I'm a very small person (5'3" and 110 lbs) - don't know how regular size or larger people handle it.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 03:13 PM

LI, Ambien is my drug of choice for long haul night flights.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Marilyn, you have the right idea
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Marilyn,

I read on the Ambien site that one drawback can be loss of memory if one awakens too soon after taking the drug. Have you ever experienced that? Evidently part of the trip just disappears, which might not be a bad thing!
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Uh oh, once again I do what Marilyn does (i gotta say that woman gives the best advice -LOL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -