Ebbitt's Grill or Red Sage

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 1999, 06:30 PM
Elaine

Hi,
Am limited [at least I think I am], to dining at either of these restaurants. Will be having meetings at the Willard, 5/16 and will be in DC for dinner only one night. Which do you think best?
Thanks to all who reply.

Old May 7th, 1999, 05:08 AM
Beth

well, I haven't been to both so I can't give a comparative answer. But Red Sage was fabulous, I don't think you would be disappointed.

Old May 7th, 1999, 05:10 AM
Neal Sanders

Old Ebbitt's Grill is more of a place to see and be seen; Red Sage has the better food. If you're at the Willard, there are a number of excellent restaurants in walking distance: Jaleo and Les Halles, for example. Let me know if you need further examples.

Old May 7th, 1999, 06:27 AM
Elaine

Neal,

My husband and I have a 'limited' time to have dinner. We both have meetings 'til 5pm and then back for a reception at 7pm. All taking place at the Willard. Hate to rush through dinner...do have a resev.at Red Sage, but wondering what would be hassle free re: distance, as we will only be staying in DC one night. Any other suggestions, I'd be glad for the input.
Thanks

Old May 7th, 1999, 06:29 AM
Elaine

Beth,
Thank you! We do have a reservation at Red Sage [main din. room]. I appreciate your feedback.

Old May 7th, 1999, 08:49 AM
cherie

If you are dressed properly Ebbitts Grill will hand you a beeper and you get a table. The food is good; the service is, too. I dont bother with the "places to be seen" as I grew up in BH (my spouse went to Gerogetown) and we ignore other (!) famous people. We like Ebbitts and took the kids there recently.

Old May 7th, 1999, 09:35 AM
Neal Sanders

Elaine, the Willard is at 14th and Pennsylvania; a five-minute walk to anywhere. Ebbitt's Grill and Red Sage are both less than a block from the Willard; Les Halles is at 12th and Pennsylvania. My two experiences at Ebbitt's Grill were that the wait for a table with reservations was interminable ("Won't you have a seat at the bar?") and the food more geared to the "see and be seen" crowd. Red Sage was always consistently excellent; Beth hits it on the nose, and you should have sufficient time for a good dinner without being rushed. Les Halles has been a long-time personal favorite; bright decor, excellent Parisian bistro food, quick service, and an interesting wine list. Maybe next time!

Old May 7th, 1999, 10:59 AM
Nuala

Definitely Red Sage for the food, also outstanding are 701 (at 701 Pennsylvania Ave) and the Occidental Grill which has both a historic room and excellent food, and is right near the Willard. All are in the upper-moderate to expensive price range.

Old May 10th, 1999, 11:41 AM
lisa

Definitely Red Sage. The Old Ebbitt Grill is overpriced, overrated, and stuffy. I have been disappointed both times I was there. Red Sage has great food and better service than OEG, and a better atmosphere.

Old May 10th, 1999, 03:39 PM
Elaine

Thank you ALL!
Red Sage it is!...you have all endorsed this restaurant enthusiastically. Had posted same query to another DC Travel Board...not half as helpful as the Fodors 'folks'.
Appreciate your time to send a reply.
Regards,
Elaine