easy hikes Sedona & GC

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easy hikes Sedona & GC

Hi, again
I'll be traveling with 2 people whose health only allows for easy, or mostly level, hiking.

If you know of any, it would save us lots of time finding them once we arrive.

Thanks....NancySpider

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi again

Just found an earlier message asking mostly the same info....Thanks for looking though.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:36 AM
emd

I replied to Jenny with this same question a few wks ago. If you haven't found that post, you might want to look for it. But I suggest that you not rely solely on info on a forum for your hiking info. You should stop at the tourist center at the "Y" junction, or the ranger's station and get info on the trails. They can size you up by seeing you in person and will have a better feel for what you can and can't handle. And you'll need a Red Rocks pass to park at the trailhead lots. You can get those at some of the trailhead losts. But there is always a chance that a trail will be closed or trail access will be closed. Or something similar to what happened recently when a person on this forum who went all the way from Hawaii to Sedona and tried to hike Boynton Canyon, and fairly easy hike, and got confused by a sign and thought the trail was closed and it wasn't. She turned around and left. If she had had a guidebook or stopped at the center or station and talked through the hike with them she would have realized the situation and been able to do the hike. Personally I do not hike there without a hike guidebook (Sherry and Richard Mangum's Sedona Hikes is the best IMO) and a stop at the ranger's station or the tourist center. Take lots of water and hat and sunscreen.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:20 AM

At the Grand Canyon the walk along the rim at the Canyon Village is pretty level easy walk from Mather Point to Hermit's Rest Shuttle Bus Transfer.

Beyond that to Hermit's rest is a nice hike, but it's not level and the path gets narrow and there are steps involved. I would suggest riding the shuttle bus from the transfer station to Hermit's Rest and getting off at all the different overlooks. A little walking will be involved at each overlook.

Here is the shuttle bus map. Anything in the blue will be pretty easy. The Red will be harder.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/pdf/shuttle-bus.pdf

Utahtea
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Up Oak Creek Canyon about mid-way between Sedona and Flagstaff is the West Fork trail head. There is ample parking for day hikers and a well marked trail through some beautiful scenery for several miles.