Search

Easy bike trails

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:04 PM
John

Easy bike trails

Thanks in advance for any information concerning easy (railway grade style) biking trails - ideally in reasonable proximity to RV parks - state/forest/private.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:09 PM
GatorGirl

The best place to (if you haven't already) check is www.traillink.com. You can look up trails by state, and it gives complete descriptions. It is run by the Rails to Trails organization which turns out railroad routes into bike/walking etc. trails. Wonderful organization......enjoy!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:30 PM
John

Thanks for the rapido reply. I've tried connecting to the site, so far without success - must be a popular one so I'll keep trying.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:49 PM
GatorGirl

Also try www.railstrails.org you can get to Trail Link from there too....

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 12:07 PM
kal

Hello,
We just got back from DC after doing a bike ride down the old C&O Canal Towpath.

We started in Harper's Ferry WVa and rode down to DC and wound up doing a "hot lap" down The Mall on the way to our Metro Marriott DC hotel room.

The route was about 65 miles with flat to approx 3 percent grades. Beautiful scenery. Potomac Riv on one side, canal on the other, mostly treelined/shade.

We had a blast and are thinking about doing the whole route, Cumberland MD to DC next year. Approx 180 miles, in 3-4 days of course.

Shorter routes shoot off of the trail. Numerous access points.

A ride from DC out to The Great Falls of the Potomac Park and back is pretty easy and only around 28 miles RT.

I used this helpful website:
http://www.his.com/~jmenzies/urbanat...anal/canal.htm

It shows hotels, B&Bs, RVs, etc.

Happy peddlin',
Kal

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 07:28 AM
topper

to the top