Search

Easter Sunday NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter Sunday NYC

planning on taking teens - 13, 16, & 18 yrs. to parade and need some advice on where to take them for dinner.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 01:06 PM

What type of food you are looking for and a rough idea of cost would help in helping you.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 05:15 PM

Previous reponses I received about the Easter parade led me to believe that the time was approximately 10:30a to 4:00p, with the "peak" between 11:00-12:30.

For those of you who've been, is this right? So we were wondering more about a place for breakfast/ brunch/ lunch rather than dinner.

If late afternoon is the prime scene, I want to know, too!

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

We are looking for late afternoon dinner and price range would be moderate. Good food is the most important but not looking for top dollar. Teens don't like exotic foods, mostly Italian or Continental.$10-25 a person. Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 03:47 PM

Hmmm, Msmiller's correct about peak of Parade being 11 - ~1. Problem with brunch near Parade (Fifth Ave. & 50's) is it's not a residential neighborhood so most places will be expensive. I had previously suggested to someone Aquavit on 55th betw 5th-6th. It's one of the best restaurants in NYC & normally expensive but they have a $20.03 price fixe lunch. It's Scandinavian food & a beautiful place. I'd double check whether it's on on Easter Sunday though. All the hotel dining rooms will have brunches but they'll be pricey.

Outside the immediate area of the parade, walking east there's Cafe St Barts on 50th & Park next to St Bartholomews church. I haven't been there but it sounds good. Being next to the church on Easter Sunday, I'd make sure to book.

A totally out of the way but very special place is Capsuto Freres (Washington St & Watts St in Tribeca). Great brunch, beautiful room (exposed brick walls, flowers). They should have a price fixed brunch.

Final thought on brunch, go to the Water Club at 30th st & the East River (if you take a cab, the driver will have to go further south than 30th to get there-don't panic!) It's right on the water, food is pretty good & I think they have a special brunch menu. A very NY experience with great views.

As to early dinner with the teens, for casual try the Brooklyn Diner on 57th betw 7th & Broadway, Joe Allen's in the theater district(46th betw 8-9) or go down to the village

For something more
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 04:49 PM

The "parade" is fun, but it's mostly window shopping, some years there are street fairs in the area, check www.sidewalk.com for specific avenues.

There are lots of restaurants that will be open if you head east or west of 5th Ave. I would go to 7th or 8th Ave or east to 3rd ave for better choices.

Alot of the city is closed on Easter Sunday, including the cafe at St. Barth., most of the major stores are closed, but go to Macy's on Saturday to see the garden they build on the entire first floor and in all the windows, it is really beautifully done.

A fun place for the kids would be Jeckel and Hyde on 6th and 57th or Harley Davidson on 6th and 56th both fun theme restaurants.

Both restaurants are very close to where you will be for the parade.

Have a great time while you are in the city.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:41 PM

Look up Tuscan Square and see if they're open on Easter Sunday. They're just off 5th in the Rockefeller Center area. They have a restaurant upstairs and downstairs they have a "market" where you can get foccacio and panini, etc. Not too pricey either.