Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Easter getaway - Tuscon? Phoenix? Santa Fe? San Antonio?

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 10:13 AM
Bill

We just decided to get away for a long weekend (Thursday - Monday) at Easter, and we were thinking of the Southwest. We'll be flying in from the East. It'll be be my wife and me and two sons - 10 and 14. We like the outdoors (hiking, etc.) and figure on renting a car and seeing the countryside, in addition to visiting the gateway city and eating some high-quality Mexican food. I suppose if we go to Phoenix we'll have to make the trip up to the Grand Canyon for a day (though I'd hoped to do a more extended stay on the North Rim someday). I recall from many years ago some beautiful high country in New Mexico. And San Antonio has the Alamo as a magnet for someone who grew up seeing "Davy Crocket" on Disney.
Any suggestions about these (or similar) Southwest locations?

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 10:22 AM
kam

Sedona, AZ, would be ideal. Beautiful hiking among the red rocks. Pink Jeep tours, interesting small old Arizona towns nearby, there's a train that goes through a gorge with wildlife etc. but I've lost the name--help? You can do the south rim of the GC as a day trip from Sedona and it's 2 1/2 hours (approx) from Phoenix. San Antonio would be my second choice with the kids. I think of Santa Fe as an art/restaurant/grownup place, but maybe other posters know what to do with kids there and the weather won't be quite as nice and warm.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:33 PM
Bill

If you're planning to visit Phoenix/Grand Canyon or SF my only advice is: decide quickly and book something now. I think you'll find that availability (hotel, flight) is already quite slim. My vote would be for AZ due to the variety of things you can do in a relatively compact area (few hours drive).

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Teresa

My husband and I were recently in San Antonio on business and spent time at the Alamo. I remember thinking that our 11 year old son would absolutely love the Alamo as well as the IMAX movie (directly across the street) about the battle. Your kids would probably also enjoy the riverwalk and the Mexican Market--we're definitely going back with our children someday. Don't know if the Spurs will be in town then, but a game at the Alamodome would also be a sure hit.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Christie

San Antonio will be an absolutely lovely place to visit over Easter weekend! (I'll be down there this weekend!) The weather this time of year is glorious- highs in the low 80s and lows in the 60s-70s. The wildflowers in the Hill Country are in full bloom, too! Take some time to go to a State Park and do some hiking- Encanted Rock Natural Area (about an hour outside of SA near Fredricksburg) is GREAT this time of year! Just remember to bring water. Of course, SA has plenty ofwonderful Mexican food! My favorites: La Fogata on Vance Jackson, Las Palapas on I-10 West, and Tomotillo's on Broadway near downtown. If you're looking for a great brunch on Easter, I recommend the St. Anthony Hotel downtown. Be sure and make reservations, as it is very popular! Of course, the Alamo and all of the other missions are also good places to spend some time. Feel free to write if you need more info, or look at www.traveltex.com

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 07:53 AM
Linda

SAN ANTONIO--That is the beginning of Fiesta & SA is never more fun than Fiesta (celebrate San Jacinto--Houston's victory over Santa Ana). It is not the big weekend but the cascarones will be prevelent (emptied eggs filled with confetti for cracking on people's heads). Renting a car & going to the Hill Country around Fredericksburg & Kerrville would be great. The wildflowers are in bloom & the Willow City Loop would be a fun drive. For Mexican food, I recommend Mi Tierra (SA institution) in the Mercado (Market), Pico de Gallo (just across the freeway from the Mercado), La Margarita (in Mercado) & Karam's (on Zarzamora). For Italian, Paesano's. On Sundays at noon Mission San Jose has a mariachi mass. You have as well, Fiesta Texas, Sea World, etc. The riverwalk is great & the people friendly!

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Linda

Oops! Check out www.mysanantonio.com & www.traveltex.com