JULY 4 IN LOS ANGELES

Search

JULY 4 IN LOS ANGELES

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JULY 4 IN LOS ANGELES

My husband and I are making our third trip to the States and this time we will have my parents (both a fit 70) with us. I would have wished to be in a country town for July 4 to experience the atmosphere and join in the celebrations but our itinerary means we will be in LA. I had considered Disneyland as the perfect place to spend the day but wonder at the possibility of huge crowds. I would appreciate any suggestions of how we might best spend all or part of the day. Thank you jomaree
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 05:33 AM

A couple of suggestions:

I've done Disneyland several times on July 4th and yes it is crowded but if you stay on property you can take advantage of early admission, go back to the pool at the height of the day and return for the nighttime shows and fireworks. We wore mickey ears with red/white/blue decorations and the kids had blue hawaiian print shirts/dresses. The pictures are adorable!

The Rose Bowl in Pasadena also does a giant fireworks celebration (I've read it is one of the largest in CA). You could make a day of it in Pasadena - go to the Huntington Gardens and Library; do a little shopping in Old Town; have lunch at Akbar (Indian) or Cafe Bizou (American), tea at the Scarlet Tea Room or Chados, or early dinner at Red, White and Bluez jazz club, all in Old Town; you could also visit the Norton Simon museum or Asia Pacific museum, the next day you could enjoy breakfast at the hotel or try Marstens and then take a tour of Gamble House (Greene & Greene) (check hours).

I also remember a fun 4th of July at the beach and with a little more research you could probably find out which beach communities have celebrations and fireworks, then splurge for a room on the beach and watch the fireworks over the water. Look at Marina del Rey, Newport Beach and Long Beach for starters. It was quite a party (read crowded with parking hard to find) but really festive and very Southern California. Having a room at the beach would make it more enjoyable.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
POLson has it right on the money. If Pasadena, though, do make sure the museums are open on the 4th. Norton Simon allows non-flash photography -- which I appreciate since I like doing that.

I can expand a little on the Marina del Rey fireworks, and add one more to the list: Avalon in Catalina, since we are either in Avalon over 4th of July or we go to MDR if we're in town. In MDR there's a couple of options that are appealing -- either book the Hornblower (or whatever the company's name is this year -- it changes!) fireworks marina "cruise" -- there's 2 -- one with a full dinner (not worth it imo) and the other a drinks only cruise (BYOF). The marina becomes a parking lot of boats, which is kind of fun and the boat travels out into the middle of the Marina, so you get the one-two fireworks punch (overhead, and on the water reflection). Alternatively, if you're not a water person, Shanghai Red's at the end of the Marina, does a buffet dinner -- around $65/head plus costs of booze -- get seating outside if you get there early, and just enjoy the evening followed by the fireworks. I recall their seafood stand is pretty fine!

The only problem with the Marina is that at a certain hour, they completely close off the entrance to Fisherman's Village to cars, so you have to either get there early or walk -- not a very long walk, but still a walk. We rode bikes one year, and that was a bit of a disaster, because there were so many people walking in the bike path, especially with small children, that we couldn't really ride the bikes.

A day and evening in Catalina is also good fun -- you'd have to book the last boat back early on if you don't plan on staying the night. They have a 50's style golf cart parade in the day time, with the USC marching band. Then fireworks over the harbor at night.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 07:44 AM

If you were looking for a small town experience there is the Huntington Beach-- pancake breakfast, Main Street parade, then fireworks at the pier. I would recommend staying in HB if possible (or very close by) as the street closures start early and the traffic is nuts!!

Info from last year.

http://www.huntingtonbeachevents.com...2010july4.html

Some nice hotels in HB although will be expensive on that weekend.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Wow...I cannot tell you how much my husband and I and my 3(early 20's) sons love the USA. Every time we leave we are looking over our shoulder and dreaming of 'next time'. To be there on July 4 will be awesome and this time I get to share it with parents who have never travelled before. I have taken notes and will start my July 4 research now. Thank you all so much! Jomaree
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 06:15 AM

July 4 might be a letdown for you in LA. It's not a big celebration. It's a big day for backyard barbecues and family gatherings, and people like to stay home and off the freeways for a change. A lot of people go to the beach, but that's a "beach day" not a holiday celebration. Malls and stores are open and business as usual. Disneyland is a nightmare. The fireworks over the water in Marina del Rey might be fun, but except for some scattered local parades, a big yawn.
July 4 might be a letdown for you in LA. It's not a big celebration. It's a big day for backyard barbecues and family gatherings, and people like to stay home and off the freeways for a change. A lot of people go to the beach, but that's a "beach day" not a holiday celebration. Malls and stores are open and business as usual. Disneyland is a nightmare. The fireworks over the water in Marina del Rey might be fun, but except for some scattered local parades, a big yawn.

Griffith Observatory is open at night and a great place to survey the smaller fireworks happening all over the city, but very very crowded and a long long walk from the open parking spaces.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Went with friends to the Hollywood Bowl one July 4 (fortunatelly they had box seats) and really enjoyed it.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Pacific Palisades has a traditional small-townish parade with marching bands, etc. and 10k right before, earlier in the morning. There are also fireworks at night at Pali high. The Bowl is a great suggestion...or you might consider staying at the Malibu Beach Inn - you'll be able to see Malibu Colony's terrific private fireworks from there.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

joesorce...that was what I was afraid of. We had a 3 day hopper pass the first time we were in the States and it was in April. I am worried about submitting parents to the heat and crowds and spoiling the Disneyland experience. We will be passing back through first days of August on our way home. Do you think it might be a better option to try for D/Land then? Only need 1 day just to show them.

Also had the same thoughts about July 4 in LA. Have probably built it up in my mind to something that I will not be able to live up to. Part of what we love about travel is talking to people and it is certainly easier to get that..and a community spirit in a smaller area. May have to look further into mlgb's Huntington Beach option. I was hoping for something more than just fireworks. I guess marching bands etc is what we imagine when we think of your July 4.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 08:19 AM

August will be crowded because it's still summer vacation season. I'm not sure it will be that much better as far as crowds, you might ask at one of the discussion boards specific to Disneyland.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 09:54 AM

I second mlgb's Huntington Beach idea, and would also add that our hometown of Long Beach puts on a pretty nice show shooting fireworks off of the deck of the Queen Mary. I have watched it from Rainbow Lagoon Park, from the outside patio at Parker's Lighthouse AND down at Granada Beach in Belmont Shore (not in the same year, of course! LOL).

Huntington Beach is a more swanky community with that whole Surf City vibe, so for visitors from abroad I think it would be wonderful.

Disneyland in early August is busy but not unmanageable, FYI. I went there for my 45th birthday two years ago (*sob*). Initially the whole visit was dripping in irony ("we're all far too old for a Disney park!"), but after a birthday cocktail at Downtown Disney (Ralph Brennan's was open when we got to the park!) and a couple of rides (and we did as many as we could), we were all kids again, and we had an awesome time. And I was very surprised I still could!
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Oh rjw_lgb_ca...thank you mate for the laugh! You and I are obviously of the same very fine Aug '64 vintage.... and improving with age I feel(LOL). 2007 was our first visit and Disneyland was our first stop. With (at the time) an 18, 16 and 13 yo I thought we may have left our Disneyland run too late but for 3 days we were first there and last to leave and we did not miss one ride, even Dumbo (I was very graceful but the ride was almost over before I realised I needed the 'stick' to make it go up and down - hmmm!)so I have decided inside we are all still kids and NEVER too old to go to DL. When we 6 kids were young Mum had a special set of Disney books that she read to us at night and I CANNOT wait to see her face and the 'little girl' within when she sees the Parade.

Thank you for your help. I must say I am a learner in the the Fodor community and the 'little girl' inside me gets very excited every time I look and I have a reply. If we were to take the QMary option (MOTH likes this idea) would you have a suggestion on where to stay?

PS I am most certainly going to take your advice and start my DL day with a cocktail....will be thinking of you.

mlgb..would you give me your thoughts on HB accommodation if we choose that option please.

We will be arriving into LA from Solvang side late Jul 2 so planning to do the tour 'thing'on Jul 3 and following your lead for Jul 4. Would I be better to stay at HB or LB and get transport in to LA for the tour and explore day rather than switch hotels or better to central LA (stayed Magic Castle last time) and move later Jul 3? Leaving for Vegas morning of 5th.

THNKS
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM

You can actually stay ON the Queen Mary, there are other hotels nearby, including the Hotel Maya right next door, Residence Inn, Avia, Renaissance.

In Huntington Beach, the Hilton and Hyatt will both be $$$$, as will the Shorebreak, there's also the Best Western Huntington Beach Inn which is certainly going to be less but isn't all that great, and may or may not have enough parking space that weekend.

I don't have as much of a problem moving hotels as some people, so I'd probably shift on the evening of the 3rd.
But won't you have a car? I think it would help.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 08:57 PM

Hi there. I am also going to be in LA this 4th of July and am staying at the Hilton in Long Beach. I have heard by many that this is a family day but being a tourist the best place would be to head down to the beach for the day and then watch the fireworks on the Queen Mary, and back home to bed as I have also heard the celebrations end around 9pm. I think that will be my plans - not the be all and end all of the trip, just the way our flights have been organised from Australia to arrive around that date!
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 09:46 PM

LMS, surely the fireworks won't start before dark! Around here ( NorCal) they usually start about 9:15 pm.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Thats exactly what I was thinking. You need darkness for fireworks!