East Coast Getaway

Any ideas for a long weekend east coast driving getaway. Leaving from jersey
Thanks

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:36 AM
JR

A romantic getaway that is.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:39 AM
funny

HAHAHAHA..although I like NJ, just laughing at the response.

I think Newport R.I is lovely if you like New England and I would suggest Philly if you're looking for more of a city.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:39 AM
What

Depends on the time of year, your interests, and who's goin. The wineries on the North Shore of Long Island can be great for a long weekend, except maybe in the winter. The Greenport Inn was recently renovated and makes for a nice place to stay.

Newport, with a sidetrip to Foxwoods, is nice for weekend, as is a trip to Vermont.

Plenty of history in Pennsylvannia and Washington, DC isn't that far.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:42 AM
JR

The trip would be within the next few weeks. Mid Feb.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:54 AM
dfg

How about cape cod

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Funny

I think Newport R.I. and a drive down to Mystic CT. Or Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket.

Philadelphia, Lancaster County PA.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 08:03 AM
xxx

New Hope Pa. Lambertville across the river on jersey side. Many B&B's to choose from. Depends what you are looking for. There are many fine restaurants cozy places, rustic, antique shops. New Hope also has a little playhouse to see a show. Sounds like it may be a Valentines get-a-way. This is nice you are planning something special.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 08:09 AM
zootsi

If you are looking for the perfect, scenic New England village, Litchfield CT. comes the closest for a short drive from Jersey. The Berkshires of Mass. also have some very scenic, secluded inns.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 08:20 AM
fluffnfold

I live in Pennsylvania, so I've done lots of short weekend trips. How about the Greenbrier in Sulphur Springs, West Virginia? Also check out the Inn at Little Washington near DC, and the Inn at Perry Cabin in St. Michael's, Maryland. All very beautiful, luxurious, romantic, and consequently pricey. Williamsburg, Virginia makes a nice little weekend trip, too. The Williamsburg Inn is quite nice, as are the quaint rooms you can rent above the historic buildings.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Elaine

Litchfield is a beautiful part of CT. Check out CopperBeech Inn or the Griswold in Essex. In Newport my vote is for the Francis Malbone .

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 08:43 AM
good point

Fluffnfold, good point about Inn at perry cabin although kind of $$. But brings to mind that Annapolis Md is a great weekend getaway plus you can drive down the eastern shore. Very pretty.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Pam

I had a great time at "The Griswold" in Essex CT as well as the Francis Malbone in Newport. I'd like to add the eastern shore of Maryland. We stayed in Chestertown at the Inn at Chestertown. It was quiet,relaxed and certainly romantic.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:17 AM
SM

Annapolis, MD. My wife and I just spent a lovely weekend there the week before Christmas. Plenty of places to eat and Irish pubs to get a good drink. Naval Academy is full of history and very interesting.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 02:34 PM
why not

Why not a Lighthouse get away, along the east coast. Some allow overnight visitors.