COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

East coast family vacation

Old Feb 10th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

East coast family vacation

We're a family of 4 (kids age 6 and 4) looking for a new place for our summer vacation. For the past few years, we've been to North Conway, NH, but want to find something different this year. We live in the Boston area and aren't interested in Cape Cod - there just doesn't seem to be much to do there other than go to the beach. While we like the beach, I don't want to spend an entire week on one. We like parks, easy hiking (4 year old), swimming. I was thinking of maybe Lake George, but am open to more suggestions. Anyone have any East Coast gems that I don't know about? Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM

The Jersey Shore is the best. We go every year. Lots to do for kids of all ages. Water is warmer than the Cape (we live in New England so we know). Belmar, Point Pleasant and Wildwood are our favorites. My blog has lots of info, pictures, etc on all three - check it out. This is the link to my Jersey Shore series. http://bit.ly/c4IXcS
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM

We're in NE too and are looking for something more than NH or the Cape.

Have you thought about Stowe Vt area?- when my kids were about that age, we spent a great vacation there.

Another favorite was Bar Harbor area.

We also have loved trips to Williamsburg - especially staying at Kingsmill Resort.

This year we are thinking about NC beaches.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:07 AM

I suspect you stayed in N Conway for proximity to Storyland and have already visited most of the tourist attractions in the White Mountains. We like planning a vacation around an event like a 4th of July parade. In VT, Bristol had a parade one day and Brandon the next although two parades in two days was a little much. There's a popular river swimming hole in Bristol. Shallow in one section but with a deep pool and waterfall a short distance up river. It was a great place to picnic but you would need water shoes for the rocky bottom. We camped at a nearby lake.

You might check out summer events in VT, NH and Maine to see what appeals to your family. For children, you might include visits to a local library for summer story hours. Gunstock in Guilford NH/Lake Winnipesaukee has different events each weekend. Have you visited Squam Lakes science center in Holderness? The Big Apple Circus usually plays in the Hanover NH area during the summer. Summer theaters such as New London have afternoon plays for children. If you consider renting a cottage on one of the lakes, make sure it has a good beach area for the children. Some have docks but no beach.
Yankee Magazine has a calendar of events on their website. Some of the summer events aren't posted yet (i.e. Gunstock's).
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:59 AM

Have you looked at Rhode Island? There are nice beaches with houses to rent on the south coast Naraganset to Westerly, antique merry go round in Watch Hill, and also is close to Mystic CT for the aquarium and seaport and the Indian Museum at Foxwoods or a ferry ride out to Block Island or a fishing trip from Point Judith.