East Bay area breakfast

Search

East Bay area breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
East Bay area breakfast

We'll be arriving at SFO in a couple of weeks, arriving about 9am on a Tues., picking up a rental car and heading to Lake Tahoe. We'll probably be ready to eat pretty quickly, so I was thinking we might stop somewhere in the Berkeley area or nearby? Any suggestions for a good breakfast--basic eggs, waffles, pancakes will do just fine. Some places I've seen mentioned are Bette's Ocean View, Chester's, Fatapples. Any recommendations? Also, can anyone comment on the ease of access from I-80, ease of parking, traffic, etc? Thanks in advance! By the way, we're a group of 4: 2 parents, 2 teens.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:05 PM
tpl

If you're going from SFO to Tahoe, you could just take the Golden Gate Bridge, then stay on 101 North to 37 to 80 rather than going through the East Bay. The Bay Bridge and 80 corridor can get pretty backed up, and the route through Marin is a lot more scenic. Check a traffic report when you get your car -- AM 740 and 810. If you choose to go through the East Bay, I recommend Bette's over the others you mention, though there could be a wait even on a weekday. 4th Street is easily accessible off the freeway, and there is a free lot across from the restaurant, as well as metered parking and a pay lot. The Gilman Grill is also right off 80 (take the Gilman exit) and hardly ever has a wait. The food is pretty good (not as good as Bette's), but it's really easy to deal with and a little less expensive.

If you go through Marin instead, Joe's Cafe on Redwood Highway in San Rafael is good and very easy to get to. Lundy's on 4th St. in San Rafael is also good. The Dipsea Cafe has a location in Mill Valley on Shoreline, and in San Rafael on 4th Street. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks tpl, for the alternate route suggestion as well as the feedback on East Bay possibilities. We'll definitely consider going via Marin county, since it doesn't seem that much further. I'd rather drive a few more miles than sit in traffic any day!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:24 PM
SAB

i though the Gilman Grill closed.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:27 PM
SAB

BTW getting to the GGB in the morning from the airport will not be that quick since you will have to be on surface streets through SF.