Reload this Page >

Early Morning Fire (False) Alarm

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 10:31 AM
Cindy

Just curious what others may think about this situation. We just returned from Tennessee after having stayed at a Comfort Inn where we have lodged MANY times. It has always been a very good experience, thus, our return. But, this time we were awakened at 2:15 a.m. by an admittedly faulty fire alarm. It was thirty degrees outside while we stood in the parking lot without one single idea what was going on. We were out there approximately 30 minutes when we decided to go to the front desk since we could smell or see no fire. Also, we found it strange that no fire trucks responded. The lady at the front desk said it was a faulty fire alarm and everything was clear. The alarm went off a couple of times again after returning to our room. Upon reflection, I wonder if the lack of attention from the fire department meant this has happened in the past....and they therefore, knew it was not an emergency. It proved to be a MAJOR annoyance...considering the cold temperature and the world events of late. Now, my question to you.....shouldn't they have adjusted our bill more than $10.00 for such a mess? My husband asked for an adjustment and they took $10.00 off. He didn't want to make a scene, but told me there were others who were making a real problem about it. The room rate was just under $100.00 per night. Not a cheapo room. We think we got screwed. Has anyone had a similiar experience? If so, I would sure be interested to know how it was resolved.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 10:43 AM
Where There's Smoke

Here's a thought -- there is no way you should have gone back to your rooms and gone back to sleep on the word of the clerk at the hotel. You should have called the fire department directly and asked them to come out and investigate. Had you done so, the fire department and hotel would have had additional incentive to get this problem fixed. You would also have avoided the risk of burning to death because a supposed false alarm turned out not to be.

You know, at WTC, there were people who died because they trusted someone with a megaphone who told them it was safe to go back inside the second tower.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't worry about getting another 10% discount.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 11:13 AM
curious

In August we stayed at the new Williamsburg Woodlands. Apparently they were still working out the bugs of a new building. At 9:30 pm the fire alarm went off. We all went outside, fire dept. came, we went back in. I was with my mom and 2 sons. It wasn't too much of an annoyance and was warm outside and the kids hadn't gone to bed yet. I remarked that it just better not happen in the middle of the night. At 1:30 a.m. we nearly hit the ceiling when the alarm went off again. Let me add that it was the loudest alarm I had ever heard. I was not a happy camper. We had an 8 hour drive ahead of os the next morning. Again we went outside for about half an hour then were let back in. I was exhausted and Ffrst thing in the morning I went to the desk and told the clerk that I'm sure they wouldn't expect us to pay $ 136 for the room and she agreed. I then asked to see the manager and told her that I didn't feel that one free night made up for that kind of disruption. She agreed and gave me a voucher for another night to be used anytime in the next year. I overheard some people commenting that the experience was "just part of the vacation" and didn't ask for or receive anything. Those people that asked for a refund got one and those, like me who were more demanding got an additional night. Very fair on the part of the Woodlands. They seem to be concerned about satisfiying their customers. IMO, 10 percent off is a joke. I wouldn't have paid for the room, but it may be too late since it's after the fact. I would write the corporate office and ask for a refund.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 12:02 PM
Pamela

Yep, take the time and write a letter. Send it to the highest level you can (company president), with copies on down to the hotel manager. Sit down, plan it out in your mind, make it courteous but also very clear that you are extremely disappointed and plan never to stay there again. Check your spelling and grammar, and don't use profanity. It doesn't hurt either to say you also plan to tell everyone you know not to stay in their chain.....

Every time I've written such a letter, I've gotten good results. But they know most people are too busy to take the time to write letters and hunt up adresses and names, so they are able to respond generously to the ones who do.

Good luck!

Pam

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 01:26 PM
pat

We were in Rio on the 33rd floor of a hotel and heard noises and people running up and down the hall. This was in the middle of the night. We went into the hall and smelled smoke and got out of there quick. Downstairs, the hotel insisted there was nothing wrong. Then the fire trucks arrived and then the TV crews. The hotel insisted there was no fire, even though there was smoke in the air. They finally admitted something had caught on fire in the kitchen. Better a false alarm than NO alarm. And we sure didn`t get any money off our hotel bill, and it was longer than 30 minutes. Consider yourself lucky. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill