Search

Durango Lifestyle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Diane

Durango Lifestyle

Hi everyone -

I really need some help. I've been out of work for 6 months and was just offered a job in Durango, but am concerned if I'll be happy there. It's a lovely place, but as a 30 something single woman will I regret my decision. After months of searching through a dismal job market and then receiving a good offer in my chosen field, I'm in need of some advice.

What's there to do in Durango? Will I be the only single woman in town? Will I be the only non-skier?

Thanks for any input!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 09:33 AM
xxx

Lovely surrounding, but a small town in the middle of no where.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:40 AM
xxx

You can date all the skiers!!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:47 AM
gb

I think Durango would be a nice place to live. There's a college in town. Really it's s small city. Summer is very busy with tourists. I think there is plenty to keep you busy. I don't know about the single women, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:46 PM
travellyn

This is my second try at this posting. Here goes:

If you love the outdoors, then the quality of life here is excellent; if you prefer shopping, then it's not so good. The hardest thing here is finding work, and you have that problem out of the way.

The town itself has a population around 15,000, but there are another 15,000 county residents (me included) that consider themselves from Durango. The town consists of only about 5 square miles.

There are plenty of eligible bachelors here. I work in a field in which I meet a lot of single people, and what I see is that they often don't tend to meet each other. You have a better chance if you're invoved in a church, some sort of sports, or work someplace like the college. If I were single, I would definitely try to live in town rather than even a few miles out. You definitely wouldn't be the only single woman in town or the only non-skier.

Outdoor activities are really big here, but surprisingly, so are more cultural activities. There is a symphony, several choral groups, several dance clubs, a repertory theater, etc. Another surprise - the high school (!!!) puts on some really professional plays - the program is second in the nation for drama.

We have about 3 movie theaters - one is an art film type place. Right now there is a film festival featuring something like 70 movies in 9 days. There's a lot of live music, and well-known bands come through here. My daughter got to sing on national radio when Garrison Keillor broadcast the Prairie Home Companion from here a few years ago. By the way, our public radio station is the best I have heard - all kinds of music - including some really quirky stuff, not just classical. it's sponsored by the Southern Ute Tribe.

I moved here 5 years ago from a large city, and was surprised to see that I could stay just as busy socially, but there just aren't as many choices for any given time period.

The only time I questioned my decision to move here was when my job looked really shaky, and I was scared to death that I'd be left with a mortgage and no way to pay.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:56 PM
mms

Durango! and you have a job there! How lucky can you get!! There is sooo much to do and it is soo beautiful!! But if you reaaly want to fit in - You probably will need to take up skiing or at least bike riding . . . maybe rock climbing or river rafting. . . maybe head into Mesa Verde and take up a little anthropology . . . in Durango just about anything (except shopping - UGH - As the poster above noted) is open to you !! I'm jealous!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:58 PM
local in La Plata

I'm curious about what type of work you were offered. As many have mentioned, its difficult to find professional work here. My question stems from why Durango would recruit from outside the state while there are so many qualified people here looking for work.

That said, you can fit in without being a skier, rock climber, rafter, or archeologist. People are also into horses here too, but believe me, you'll be fine. I'd take a trip out here to check it out if you have serious doubts.

With regard to shopping, I don't know where you are from, or what type of shopping you are interested in, but if you can't find something here, there's always the internet.

Some good suggestions have been previously mentioned. You'll be fine.