Durango, Colorado

Jun 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Durango, Colorado

I am interested in any recommendations for places to stay for about a week in Durango this Summer. Any personal experiences related would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jun 9th, 2004, 06:02 AM

John, Durango has a ton of good, and great hotels and motels, in many price ranges. I have stayed in a number of them over the years, including two of the three Best Westerns, the Doubletree, Fairfield, and the "world famous" Strater hotel. Aside from the Strater, all were very nice hotels. There are also a large number of very nice "mom and pop" type places. Check out www.durango.com.

I spent two of the most miserable nights of my life in the Strater. It is a "historic", read old and noisy hotel right on Main Street. I had the misfortune to stay in a room right above the bar entrance on the side street. The first night a fight broke out in the bar, and spilled out into the street right under our windows. The second night there was a band in the bar that played til closing. Beautiful rooms and lobby, but I will never stay there again. Write if you have any questions.
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:14 AM

We spent one night at the Strater several years ago. Had no problems & really enjoyed the historical aspect.
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM

We just spent 3 nights at the Strator, third floor big corner room facing both streets. We loved it. The Mahogany Grill is fantastic. Friday night did get rowdy along the street & this was the frist week in May so I imagine in the summer it can get a bit boiterous. Perhaps a room near the back; we enjoyed the hotel very much though I have no experience with other accommodations in Durango. Enjoy your time there!
Jun 9th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for replying to my inquiry.
Jun 9th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Of the 3 hotels where I have stayed in Durango, I still like the Strater best, but I can also understand the noise problem. My husband and I had a similar problem with a loud bar when we stayed a block away at the General Palmer last September. The noise was really annoying for about an hour (maybe around the time the bar closed). The Doubletree is much quieter, and is right along the Animas River. It's about 2 blocks away from the downtown area, which makes it very convenient, but I prefer being right in the middle of downtown at the Strater.
Jun 9th, 2004, 11:44 AM

A good friend of mine has a nice condo right on one of the slopes up the mountain at the Puragatory ski resort. I think they have renamed the ski resort to something like Durango ski resort. Not sure.
There are others up there too.
I've only stayed up there to ski, so don't know what it's like in the summer.