Reload this Page >

Duke University Primate Center info?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Amie

I've noticed there are a few people on this forum from Durham, NC, so I'm hoping that someone can tell me about the Duke University Primate Center. Our kids love the show Zoboomafoo on PBS, and we've heard that the Primate Center is a great place to see lemurs. I've been on the center's website, but I'm hoping someone can give me some firsthand information. Is a visit to the center worth a 225 mile drive? I understand the tour only lasts about an hour. It seems kind of silly to make a long drive just for a one hour tour, but we're planning on stopping overnight at Old Salem in Winston-Salem on the way (I've been reading the Christmas trip thread about it, and I'm intrigued!), and then the Primate Center is only another 80 miles from there. So really, it's not 225 miles just to see the Primate Center, but it is an extra 80 miles each way from Winston-Salem. I'd appreciate any information you can offer.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 10:51 AM
clyde

Sounds like a long way to drive for a little monkeying around.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Amie

Thank you Clyde, you're very clever...

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Leone

I was at Duke last Saturday, and can tell you the highways coming in and out are very good, but fairly busy with traffic. You'll need a good map to the center ... Duke sprawls a bit. While there, if you have time, try a walk on the West Campus near the Chapel and the Main Quadrangle. Have a good trip. Ciao

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 12:32 PM
ncgrrl

I always thought you had to schedule tours of the Primate Center. Never been there so I don't really know.

Telephone numbers (919) 489-3364 or 684-2535.

If you're driving from Winston-Salem take I-40/I-85 east, when the interstates split, TAKE I_40!!! The signs will say I-85 to Durham, but I promise you I-40 goes to Durham. Take I-40 to the 15-501 exit (#270). Turn towards Durham. Exit for Erwin Road/highway 751. Turn left onto 751, go under the highway, take first road on left (Erwin) then left onto Lemur Lane.

While in Durham you should stop by the Duke Gardens and visit the Duke Chapel. I think the American Dance Fesitival is in its last week, but the Durham Bulls play all summer long. Can check their schedule at www.durhambulls.com

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Amie

Leone and ncgrrl, thank you both for your great suggestions. Unfortunately, after a full day of touring Old Salem the day before, I'm not sure our young children will be much up to another long day of touring Durham. The Primate Center is our goal for that day, and then the drive home. But I appreciate your help. Oh, one thing you can maybe help me with--- can you recommend a family friendly restaurant in Durham that would be a nice place to have lunch? Thanks again.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:24 AM
ncgrrl

For lunch try Bullock's BBQ. It's very popular, but don't let the line scare you -- fast service. Nothing fancy here, but the food is good.

Since you don't have time to tour Duke, maybe luch at the Washington Duke Hotel. They have a lobby display of some Duke artifacts. Maybe you could drive by Duke Chapel and Cameron Indoor Stadium.