Dude ranch with 8,and 10 year olds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like a more interesting spring break than an indoor water park which is always crowded then. We are in Iowa so south of here would be better. Has anyone been to a ranch that has great riding, fishing, animals, cook-outs, etc? Have researched Tucson and Phoenix. Any south of here that we could drive to?
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Topping. This board is so active this post slipped to the bottom quickly. Any help? I did a search and found some ideas.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 09:27 PM

Look into the Mayan Dude Ranch outside of San Antonio. We went there twice with our boys. At the time, they were in 1st and 2nd grades. We all had a blast.

The ranch is family owned and operated. In addition to the parents, there are 10 or 11 children, plus all their children, who help run the place. Everyone there is committed to their guests having fun.

The riding is very basic - walking only due to insurance - but the views are lovely.

The daily price includes 2 rides per day, all food, and drinks (beer and wine). There is a bar/nightclub that serves mixed drinks (for a cost) and often has local bands or performers in the evenings.

You can do a morning ride to an outdoor breakfast - where you are serenaded by a cowboy with a guitar. Or, if you're not up to riding, you can take a wagon ride to breakfast. Breakfast is also served in the main hotel building - but it just never seemed to taste as good!

Food was outstanding. Sometimes dinners were at the main hotel area, sometimes they were out on the property - a steak night under the stars or a BBQ near the river. There was usually entertainment of some sort. Even my "uptight" husband got into the tortilla throwing contest!

Lots of running around space for kids. There is a pool, a basketball court, shuffleboard, etc. A little river runs through the property from which you can swim or fish (they have equipment for you I believe). There are lots of nice walking trails - one of which leads to some dinosaur tracks.

If you're there in the summer or a main holiday time (like Spring Break)then there are usually supervised activities for the kids.

Oh yeah - you are greeted each morning with a personal delivery of juice, milk, coffee, or tea!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:47 AM

The White Stallion ranch in Tucson has a
great ride programm, allowed anyone in a family to have fun : slow and fast ride every morning and every afternoon.
There is a swimming pool, tennis...
Meals are perfect and you can have a suite with a room for the children and
one for the parents(case n?3 for example).
Atmosphere is perfect, the "True" family
makes the sejour without problem.
Saguaaro nat'l park, arizona sonora desert museum and Old Tucson will interest your children.
We've been there 4 times, beginning in 1998 with our daughters who were 5 and
10 years old and were there last year
and they were 9 and 15 ys old.
This year they preferr going to NY in April but we(the parents) will be at
the white stallion in next february and the daughters have the strong wish to go
there next year...
And it's realy a good adress, as we arrive from France(a 8 hours jet lag)
but you forget easely it when you arrive...
Erik and Anny Monpetit.
NB : they have a web site : whitestallion.com
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for those great suggestions. I'll check them both out.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:19 AM

If you are exploring Ranches in Texas, then you may want to call Twin Elm Guest Ranch (in Bandera [Hill Country]). We had a great time there. You can also Google them to find their website.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM

I was going to suggest Twin Elm in Bandera, also. Very authentic working ranch and very laid back. We enjoyed our stay there.

My sister-in-law used to run it, and although I'm not sure who is running it now, I'm sure it's still the same.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:07 PM

You might consider some of the Dude ranches around Durango, Colorado. I'm not sure they will be open during your Spring break - but they are among the best in the country.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

That it one of my problems. I would like to take them to one in Colorado but am not sure about the weather then. We will be going to very last day of March thru April 4th. I will check out the ones in Durango.