duck tour vs. boston tours

Jun 27th, 2001, 08:46 PM
lynne

duck tour vs. boston tours

i've read great reviews on the duck tours. any opinions on the 7 hr. small bus tours by Boston tours? we are staying in salem and have only 1 day to tour boston. thanx for your help.

Jun 28th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Beth

I don't know about this 7-hour tour, but don't think you would particularly need it. If you did the Duck Tour for the Copley area and walked the Freedom Trail around the north end Fanueil area, you would get a great feel for the city. The Duck Tour does require a reservation (appx 12-48 hours ahead). The main advantage to the Boston day tour may be your ride in and out from Salem! How much is it and who offers it? Where are you staying in Salem? The train does go straight in from Salem to Boston's North Station. You could do the Freedom Trail in the morning and take a taxi or "T" over to the Prudential for a mid-afternoon Duck Tour. Just check the times for the train back!

Jun 28th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Kathy

The duck tour is great fun and gives you a nice ride through the city and on the Charles. It's not hard core history, but gives enough highlights. I'm with Beth. Do the duck tour then walk the Freedom Trail. Perhaps have lunch or a snack in the North End, which is on the Freedom Trail.

Jun 29th, 2001, 05:09 AM
paula

It depends on what you are looking for. The duck tours are obviously more casual while the 7-hour tour (long time ona bus - even with stops)gives a more in depth approach to the historical areas and their backgrounds. If you are traveling with children, forget 7 hours on a bus tour of any kind!! The duck tours give you the option of figuring what area you want to spend your time in afterwards as well - once you are done you can walk or taxi to a specific area. Boston is a user-friendly city for walking as long ass you have a map in hand! Behind the Prudential Center is a great resaturant called Marche's. Kiosks serving everything from crepes and waffles to Angus beef, sushi, pasta and salads - something for everyone's tastes.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:23 AM
lynne

sounds like the Duck tour is the way to go. thanks so much for your input.

Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:09 AM
Ann

Lynne, the other alternative you have not mentioned is the trolly tour. There are at least two companies in Boston which have trolly tours where you can get on/off all day long. I think if you ride one circuit around (takes less than two hours I believe) you'll get the tour part, then on the next pass, get off at whatever site interests you, then get on after you're finished there. I have not done either of these tours myself (I could probably give the tour ;-)) so I can't tell you the pros/cons of the different companies, but this may be more in line with what you seek. The Duck tour is great fun, but it's not as thorough or covers as much territory as the trollys (I think the trollys go to Harvard Sq. for example). The dip in the river is fun, but you can take a short boat ride on the river from the Galleria mall in Cambridge, or the Museum of Science I believe.