Search

Driving to New York

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 12:42 PM
mdurf

Driving to New York

My wife and I will be driving from Boston to New York and then on to D.C. this summer. Since we will have a car are there some places to stay that would be better than others? This is also our first visit to New York so any advice on what we should see and do would be greatly appreciated. We will be in the city for about three days.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 01:10 PM
Beth

Most hotels will offer some kind of parking, maybe an on-site lot, maybe valet, maybe a block or two away. As far as access, I thought it was remarkably easy to get to my hotel on the upper West side from the Henry Hudson parkway (and I was coming from Boston too!). Its a nice neighborhood to stay in too. But whereever you decide to stay, just budget somewhere around $25 per day to park the car, and plan to leave it until you are done.

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 02:13 PM
colleen

Holiday Inn Midtown has parking for 11.75 a day which is the cheapest I have found. Free valet too.

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 06:49 PM
Lisa

I would need to know more about your taste to really tell you what to do in NY, but here are some personal favorites. Broadway shows are great. You can get tickets at the box office or at your hotel For bargain prices on same-day tickets, visit the TKTS booth at 48th and Bway, in the middle of the square. It opens at 11 for matinees, 3 for evening. Don't be put off by long lines, they move quickly. For culture, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and anything at Lincoln Center are tops. If you like modern art (I don't) the Guggenheim and Museum of Modern Art are well rated. For "sights" see the UN, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and South Street Seaport. Also Empire State Building or World Trade Center. you might enjoy a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan. Chinatown is fun. Please e-mail if I can help you more. I live near NY and know it well.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:52 PM
Lou

Hi, Dyed in the wool New Yorker here. Try price line . com . My husband and I stayed in a mid town hotel with valet parking for 125 a nite. Went to B'way and dinner. If you do Bway. Go to Patsy's ( 54th St?) Restaurant for incrdible Ital. or go to Little It. down town NYC.. go to Puglias down there. Whatever you do try and see Les Miserables. The best show ever and we have seen a few! If you are readyy to deal with a little crowding...the Hayden Planetarium has just been refurbished (understatement) I hear it's fantastic. I wouldn't doubt it. Have fun!!