Driving time Boston to Bar Harbor?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:57 PM
Linda

Driving time Boston to Bar Harbor?

Anyone know? Thanks.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
Oscar

I have always found www.Mapquest.com very helpfull in locating addresses and providing directions and length of trips. it also has arial maps.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:16 PM
linda

Thanks, Oscar!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:10 AM
gail

If you go on the inland/ugly route, it is quite a bit less time than the scenic coastal route.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:52 AM
rob

if i remember correctly, it took us about 5 - 5 1/2 hours from Logan International.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Carrie

It all depends on what day and time you are doing it. If on a Friday afternoon, the drive just to get over the Tobin bridge can take an hour itself. Forget it if its raining. Also expect to be bumper to bumper at the New Hampshire toll booth.

Once you're in Maine, it's usually smooth sailing, except that they're doing lots of construction up there on 95 (I think widening it). Also, once you get off the highway, the drive to Ellsworth and Bar Harbor can be a nightmare (two-lane road, lots of slow-moving RVS, etc.)

So, I guess the question is, what day, month, time, etc. are you planning the trip.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:17 PM
db

Boston to Bar Harbor is about 5.5 hours, as noted above, however, don't make the mistake of getting excited once you get into Maine. Our first trip we thought we were nearly there, but Maine itself is about 4 hours of the trip!!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:00 PM
jbj

Stop halfway for a worlds-best ice cream cone. Take the Waterville Winslow exit of interstate 95 and turn right (east). Go through about 3 lights and turn right on Eustis or on Johnson. Follow about a half mile to the end and turn left. NORTH STREET DAIRY CONE is on the left across from the big swimming pool.

Recommmended flavors: "Grapenut" -a New England favorite , or "Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip" or "Mocha Chip" or "Butter Crunch" or "Fresh Banana". Mmmmmmmmm good. Funny how a 5 minute detour can put such a big smile on your face!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Liza

I drove up two weeks ago on a Wednesday night. Left at 7:30 and arrived in Bar Harbor at 11:30. We stopped off 95 only briefly once. There is a ton of construction all the way up 95 to Bangor, but few cars at that time of night.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:57 AM
mare

From that ice cream stop in Waterville, ask for directions to Route 3/ Belfast. Take the rural road out to the coast then continue up the coast to Bar Harbor. It will take you a little longer but you'll get a great idea of the rural side of the state and then have a beautiful drive up the coast, especially if you can plan it for around sunset. Also you'll avoid that freeway construction boredom.