Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving Through Colorado (from western ID to Kansas)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be doing a road trip from Boise, ID to Kansas via I-84 E, I-80 E, I-170 E near the end of April next year. I'm renting an SUV for travel and I've never driven in snow before. Do you suggest a 4 wheel drive SUV / AWD SUV or will a normal SUV be okay?
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:01 PM

There's no need for a SUV unless that is what you want to drive. They drive like any other car, and if you need 4WD on an interstate, chances are you shouldn't be driving!!
The end of April is spring. You "might" get a little snow, but it would really be sort of unusual.
A regular front wheel drive car would be fine--unless you just want an SUV for the size.
One note on 4WD SUVs. They are GREAT for going forward in deep snow. They stop no sooner than any other car on ice, and 4WD is of little use on ice.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Gretchen, Thanks for your input!
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 06:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you done any research as to the cost with drop off fee?
Where in Kansas are you headed? How many days were you planning on driving? Having 4 days if you are going to eastern KS would be smart in case of a late season snow storm.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 07:11 PM

If you are unfamiliar with driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle in snowy/icy conditions, this is not the time to learn. A 4 wheel drive vehicle can potentially be more dangerous with an inexperienced driver. You will not need it so save your money. By end of April you might encounter some snow on the higher passes but it should be rain. It is a pretty time in the mountains as spring begins to arrive. Try to schedule your time so that you are not coming through the mountains into Denver on a Sunday afternoon/evening.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you tomfuller and fmpden so much for your replies!

I am actually driving cross-country and back (total 5 weeks) and it was the trip between ID and KS that I was concerned about mostly due to possible snow/ice. I actually have driven on snow/ice before when I lived in Charlotte, NC, but it's been 20 years. Since I haven't had to do it in so long, I don't consider myself to be very good at it. I have never driven a 4WD before. Thank you all for pointing out that I don't need to be doing that.

I'll be leaving from my stop in the Boise area on a Monday, 4/21, stopping in Layton, UT on Monday night, driving to Denver on Tuesday and spending the Tuesday night there, and then driving to Kansas (just south of Wichita) on Wed. Depending on road conditions, I could always stop again, but right now, that is my schedule.

So, I'm thinking that my best bet will be to get a regular SUV (I'm getting that due to luggage, dog, etc.) and if there is ice/snow, I'm assuming there will be places I can get chains and have them put on?

Thanks so much for all your input! You don't even know how helpful you have been!
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:14 AM

I think you have NO worry about needing a 4WD at that time of year. And I'm in Charlotte!!
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 09:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Check to see if you can rent something in the class of a Subaru Forester. The Subarus are full time 4WD. They get better gas mileage than something like a Suburban or Expedition.
I take it that you live in the Boise area and will be returning there sometime after you visit Kansas.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 09:12 AM

OK, you are over thinking this and planning for very minor potential problems. My first job out of college was in Charlotte. Ice and snow in Charlotte is nothing compared to ice and snow in the mountains. Out here we call it a light dusting.

The probably of encountering any ice or snow crossing Colorado in late April is close to zero. You will never need or be required for chains. However, I don't think you will be in the mountains of Colorado. I just looked a little closer at your routing. Where do you intend to pick up I-70E? I assume you will take I-80 across Wy through Laramie, and then I-25 south to I-70. If you need the space, rent a van. If you would encounter snow and ice, at most, it would be for short distance so drive slow.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 09:33 AM

fmpden, who knew you were "one of us"!! Right on with the comments.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 09:49 AM

Gretchen, just sent an email to my old boss to see how he was coping with all the rain. Many years later did some consulting work for that corporation and make the mistake of flying into Charlotte the day before Hugo came visiting. The office staff had assured me that it would just be a lot of rain and some wind. About like we are assuring Magic Mary that there will be no snow and ice.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 09:59 AM

Technically speaking Subaru are not full time 4 wheel drive. They are all wheel drive which is very different but performance, for the most part, is similar. And, again, if not experienced with either, skip it.

Gretchen - left Charlotte in 67 so it has change a lot.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

LOL! Yes, Charlotte doesn't compare to most of the East Coast as far as snow/ice. Can you tell that I'm paranoid about it? I left Charlotte in 1989 (right before Hugo). Actually, I'll be going back there on this trip.

Actually, I live in San Jose, CA. For this portion of the trip, I'll be traveling from Weiser, ID (I said Boise because no one knows where the heck Weiser is) to Derby, KS (again, no one knows where Derby is). When I plot it on the map, it takes from I-84 E, then takes me to I-80 E taking me to Cheyenne, then I-25 to Denver, and then I-70 to Derby, KS.
If any of you have a better route, let me know.

My actual 5 week trip is a little bit strange due to circumstances I couldn't get around. I'll be doing pretty much a figure 8 across the country...end of the trip coming back through Yellowstone.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 11:22 AM

There are actually some shorter routes time wise but take you more cross country. One important one is to turn off I-80 at Laramie and follow US 285 south through Ft. Collins and back to I-25 south. That is like the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

On the north side of Denver take the E-470E toll road from I-25 to I-70. You will pay five bucks but so much quicker and easier that going into Denver to take I-70 east.

Now, it you are really adventuresome -- the shortest and fastest route between Denver and Salt Lake is cross country on US40 from Park City, through Vernal, Utah, south through Rangely and catch I-70 east of Rifle. Look at a map and you will see why. However, it is mostly two lane roads but wide open. Roads are good, an interesting part of the state with few people, no gas stations, no eat, no traffic, just roll. Or you could stay on US40 all the way through Winter Park to I-70. Add about 30 minutes.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 12:00 PM

We had been in Charlotte a few years when you left--and you would have a hard time recognizing it now. It is still a GREAT city to live in. But my mantra has always been, if I can't live in NC, I want to live in Colorado!!
Well, welcome back with seeing HUGO!! We live in Myers Park and it looked like a war zone--for months!!
I would do what fmpden says about the hypotenuse. My recollection of a map is that Cheyenne is pretty much directly north of Denver and that would be a bit furher, I'd think.
But if you haven't seen that part of the country, going back on I70 to Denver and then up to Yellowstone would at least give you different scenery to Yellowstone.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Hmm...fmpden, you've given me a lot to think about. So, I'm curious...for someone like me who has never been in CO, which one would be the most scenic and interesting route?

Getting to Yellowstone will be at the end of my trip (end of May) and I'll be coming through via I-90 W through Rapid City, Badlands, etc. before hitting northern Yellowstone. So the only chance I'll really get to see CO will be on my way out in April.

I'm not really concerned about time. I'll just be leaving my brother's place in Weiser, ID on 4/21 and hoping to get to my friend's place in Derby, KS on 4/23.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 06:40 PM

Certainly the most scenic AND most varied scenery would be the one across western Colorado but it would also carry a little more risk for poor road conditions if you were to run into snow. Probability is still very, very low. If you are really interest I will send you the route. I drive that route one a year to go skiing in Park City in early March and only once in the past 15 years have I had any snow on that route.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm interested. I could always check the conditions before heading out of Ogden and if by any chance, there's snow, I could choose the other route. I'd really like to go that way though. My father actually took a cross-country trip (west to east to west) some years ago on his motorcycle and didn't get on even one interstate. I guess I have a bit of his adventurous spirit. Thanks for all your help!
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 07:05 PM

Tomorrow
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 04:34 AM

Even I70 would be an intro to Colorado. I don't know Fmpden's backcountry route. Maybe he can combine--or suggest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -