Search

driving in US

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 07:44 AM
eutsi

driving in US

HI,
although we know because of movies, we really do not know how you drive in the States. I have the image of a great police control on the highways and so, speed limitations are respect by everybody -as it is not very common in Spain or Italy. For instance, thinking on the distance between NY and Washington DC, and having all the time a good highway, we would say, "well, might be done in less than 3 hours". So, could you write about the real driving time from NY to Washington, Niagara and Boston? Thanks

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Joe

Great police control? Hardly. Most traffic moves 75-80mph on the interstates. The posted limits are 55-65 around most large cities, but these limits are never adheared to.
American roads are wider than most European roads, and fairly well marked. Driving here is a breeze.

Are you driving from Niagara Falls in NY, or New York City to Washington?

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:38 AM
bill

You will have no problems with the police if you drive between 10 and 15 miles per hour above the posted speed limit. We used miles per hour in America, not Kilometers.

Driving times always depend on the time of day that you are traveling and traffic. It takes approximately 5 hours to drive from NYC to Washington; 7 hours to drive from NYC to Niagara Falls; and, 4 hours from NYC to Boston. If conditions are good, it might take less time. If conditions are bad, it might take more.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Safe driver

I'll have to disagree with Joe. Not ALL drivers go 75-80 on the highways! There are many of us who try to be a bit more rational and safe in our driving!
And, I wouldn't advise going that fast, as there are police on these highways and they do stop speeders!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Bob Brown

You will find speed law enforcement in the United States to be inconsistent, capricious, and arbitrary at best.

For example, my wife is a very conservative driver, and one could say that she is mature, grandmother type of person. She got nailed recently in a zone that is notorious for speeding.
It was mid morning, the rush hour was over, and she was the only car going by at the time. Just in the wrong place and the right time to get caught.

On the Interstate highways, here is my rule of thumb. Start off at the speed limit. See how many people are passing you. Then gradually increase your speed so that you are driving like most of the others. I like to have a few people passing me so that if there is a speed trap down the road, they will get there first!!
Just don't stand out in a crowd by going to fast or by weaving in and out of traffic in a way that draws attention to your vehicle.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Vic

Having spent a good deal of time driving in Rome, Florence, and the autostrada (if that's what you're using as a reference), I can tell you that driving in the eastern US is less stressful, cheaper and in some ways safer. (I will admit that the Germans and Italians, though they drive faster than we in the US, tend to be very good drivers...sometimes still agressive, in Italy tailgating at 120 kph is not uncommon, but as I recall the traffic fatality rates are lower than in the US).
There is certainly more of a 'police presence' on US highways than in Italy, but it's not overbearing by any means, and most people ignore the speed limits in major metropolitan areas (but be careful in rural areas).

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Jane

Bill's driving times were very accurate. But the D.C.-NYC times can vary widely, depending on traffic. Do NOT leave New York on a Friday or Sunday night. Do not leave D.C. on a Friday night. I'd leave either city around 10:30 a.m. That way you can at least attempt to beat both rush hours.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Bob Brown

One thing I might add, traffic law enforcement in the USA is a function of state highway patrol organizations (state troopers) on the open highway and local traffic police become involved inside of the cities. The state police, of course, have jurisdiction everywhere within the state. Here in Georgia where I live, the country sheriff in some counties also sends out duputies to patrol the roads. So that is one reason why I said earlier that it was arbitrary and inconsistent.
Some states are much stricter than others. The state of Connecticut at one time had the reputation of being very strict and controlling.
So my strategy of driving slowly enough to allow a few people to pass me has paid off over the years. I think the big thing is to drive like most people around you. Don't drive so that you make your vehicle stand out in a crowd.
If you do, you might attract the attention of the police.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Dona

If you cross the border at Niagara Falls
and enter Canada, please note-radar detectors are illegal..the Ontario prov. Police will take them.. Niagara Falls Canada is much prettier than the American side, and the view of the falls for photos is superb! Lots of flowers in bloom
and many things to see and do.Posted speed on the QEW is 100 kilometers, most other roads its 80 klicks(50mph). Have a great trip. Hope you get to see Canada.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 11:58 AM
D.B.

Here is the perfect analogy. All the cars on the highway are like a school of fish, some come and go, but mostly they group together and travel the same speed/direction. The cops are the sharks, they sit by the wayside or come up suddenly and attack. Are you lucky or unlucky as part of the school?

Bob's advice is good, but does not account for the sudden side-attack from the on-ramp (similar to coming up from the deep, bottom-attack, of real sharks).

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 01:23 PM
S

Most of my driving has been done east of the Mississippi. Typically, you can go up to 10 miles per hour over the speed limit without a problem. Bob gave you the right advice. Pay attention to the traffic around you. If you're passing half the cars, but another half are passing you, you should be OK. If traffic slows down, slow down with them. They probably know something you don't.

Regardless, if you're going over the speedlimit at all, even 1 MPH, you're breaking the law, and can be given a ticket even though everyone else is going faster than you.

Driving times? If you're heading out of town between 3:30 and 6:30 PM, add to your drive time. If you're heading in to town between 6:00 and 8:30 AM, add to your drive time. Whereever you are, it'll be worse on Friday afternoons!