COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Driving in Maui

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 07:38 AM
Andrea

Driving in Maui

I am planning my first trip to Hawaii for July. I am uncomfortable driving in unfamiliar places, but everyone I speak to has assured me that Maui is a very easy place to drive. Just wondering if anyone has any comments or suggestions about driving in Maui. Thank you.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 07:47 AM
Emily

The most difficult part is keeping your eyes on the road, there are so many beautiful things to see on both sides of the road! Get a convertible, if you can, but wear sunscreen.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:14 PM
j

No problem at all. Both times we went we rented a car or SUV. No problem driving. It's sooo easy. Can't go too far. Surrounded by beauty & water. I defintely think you will need a rental car to get around. Only at night the road is very dark, especially around the mountains.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:52 PM
a

The best advice is

1 - Relax
2 - Keep your eyes on the road (hard to do with the glories of Hawaii all around you)
3 - Keep up with the flow of traffic; don't become a rolling speed-bump
4 - Plan your route before you go (helps with point #1)
5 - Don't worry if you get lost; Maui is a small peanut shaped island with no bad neighborhoods and getting lost is only a way to find someplace interesting that you otherwise would have missed

The road from Hana to the Seven Pools is not for everyone's taste and I'd invite other posters to comment about that particular drive.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:39 PM
Forsyth

A car in Maui is a must! Driving on the island is easy and there isn't too much traffic. Everyone is on Maui time so things move at a relaxing pace. The road to Hana is narrow and full of curves - do not drive this road in the rain or at night. The drive up Haleakala Crater is easy and well worth the view but it is very cold at the top of the crater. Have a great time in Maui.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:35 AM
tc

The area around the airport is really the only congestion I saw. We were there 5 days and didn't see any accidents. The scenery around the beach areas are beautiful and you eyes do tend to stray. Drive with the same caution you use at home.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 12:57 PM
Melissa

I agree, the most difficult part is getting in & out of the airport area, but after that it is very easy. I don't know if I would like a convertible, though. I find Maui pretty hot so I like to blast the air conditioning!