Driving from the Northeast to Florida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from Philly to Seagrove Beach for spring break, and I am wondering which route is faster/easier - I-95 through Savannah/Jacksonville or I-81/I-77 through Charlotte/Atlanta? We have 2 little kids, so we really need your feedback!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:17 AM
GoTravel

I-95 is a straight shot south to I-10 and I-81/I-77 would have you driving the same distance in an arc.

I'd say I-95.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Neopolitan

Mapquest says the I-95 route is an hour shorter, even though it is slightly longer in distance. (Roughly 18 hours instead of 19)
Frankly I'd prefer the more "scenic" route through Charlotte and Atlanta. And I'd anticipate less heavy traffic and snarl-ups.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:24 AM
GoTravel

There is nothing scenic about Atlanta or Charlotte on the interstate. Both cities have very heavy congested traffic and PhillyMom could easily spend hours in traffic around both cities.

I think Atlanta finally surpassed LA for traffic and Charlotte isn't far behind.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Neopolitan

GoTravel is of course right that the former is two straight shots but at considerably right angles to each other. An arc is usually less distance which is true in this case as well.

The real question is the type of route you want. I personally detest that drive up I-95 particularly through Virginia, D.C., and Delaware!

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Neopolitan

Gee, Go Travel, we seem to keep posting at the same time.
Please don't misunderstand me. I wasn't saying that Charlotte or Atlanta were particularly scenic. I was talking about that route overall, through more hills and pretty countryside. Compare I-10 from Jacksonville all that distance west to the drive from Birmingham south, for example. No comparison for scenery.

But comparing the traffic in Charlotte and Atlanta to that of Washington and Richmond? Charlotte and Atlanta may have a lot of traffic, but their interstates through them (even Atlanta after years of renovations) really shouldn't be a problem. Has anyone ever driven through Washington, DC on the interstate without a backup? I haven't, but I have breezed through Atlanta many times.

Not meaning to start a big debate, just wanted to clarify my position. As to which will end up being quicker? It's really going to depend on your luck. Will their be a shut down from an overturned vehicle or some special event traffic on either route? No one knows.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:36 AM
GoTravel

Okay, we'll both start in Philly and I'll take I-95 and you take I-81/I-77 and whomever gets to Seagrove Beach first wins. Deal?

The loser has to pay for the winner's gas.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:42 AM

With only an hour difference...I-81/I-77 any day of the week! I used to drive I-95 from DC to Savannah area at least 3 round trips a year. No way would I use that route if there was a reasonable alternative. I-81 through Virginia is a delightful drive and I-77 south of the NC line is also beautiful with lakes along the roadside. I-95 is miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Neopolitan

Go Travel, fair enough, but only if I get the Atlanta route. I vowed several years ago that I will never again drive north (to New York or further north) on I-95. NEVER EVER AGAIN.
polyvw sums it up pretty well.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Don't know a lot about I-95 north of Savannah, but I-10 throught the Florida panhandle is a breeze. Nothing to look at, but no traffic problems or cities to drive through either. It is also easier, IMHO to get to Seagrove from I-10 than driving through Montgomery, getting off I-65 and taking back roads to Seagrove.

FYI Jacksonville to Seagrove 4 1/2 to 5 hours.