Driving from Sonoma to Carmel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will be spending the weekend in Sonoma (at the Fairmont) in late July. We plan on driving down to Carmel on Sunday and am curious as to the best way...also, how long will it take us on a Sunday afternoon?

We are staying at the Tickle Pink Inn for 2 nights and plan on going to Point Lobos and the Aquarium. Any other must dos?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM

I will also be driving down to Carmel from Sonoma but at the end of August. Also staying at the Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel and will be at the Kenwood Inn and Spa in Sonoma. I'd love to hear how Tickle Pink is so please post a report. Enjoy!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM
SAB

There are at least 4 or 5 different routes that you can take, the major decision is whether you come across the Golden Gate Bridge through the west side of SF or whether you come down through the East Bay. The minimum amount of time will be approx 3 1/2 hours, assuming that you don't run into traffic, which will be highly unlikely on a summer Sunday. There will be people coming back into SF and the East Bay from Napa, Sonoma, Tahoe and other favorite weekend getaways.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Get to the Golden Gate Bridge. Just after you cross, take the first exit. This puts you on Park Presidio and then 19th Avenue. The lights here are timed and it is four lane, so no hassle. This automatically becomes Hwy 280, an 8 lane freeway, which goes through rolling hills. When you get to around Sunnyvale, take the Hwy 85 exit and follow this to where it joins Hwy 101 near Gilroy. Then watch for 156 west and take it on into Monterey.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:25 PM

jt's route is the way I'd go if I wanted a quick route that was reasonably scenic.

If you have more time and want more scenery, after you pass through SF, either take the Hwy 1 Pacifica exit or the Hwy 92 west Half Moon Bay exit off Hwy 280. This will take you directly to the coast and you will follow Hwy 1 all the way down. It takes longer since speeds on most of Hwy 1 are not freeway speeds and you have to go through part of Santa Cruz on surface streets. I would estimate that this route will take you an hour longer.

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Depending on the time of day and if there is no morning fog, I'd suggest going the first part of jrandolph's route until past the Golden Gate Bridge.

When on Park Presidio, take a right on Geary and go out all the way. All the way - all the way - just don't fall into the ocean.

At the very end of Geary, the road takes a right to follow the ocean. This is a beautiful drive in San Francisco.

Just follow that road southbound and when the signs say Highway 1, follow those signs.

Just keep on Highway 1 along the ocean through all those wonderful small beach communities - all the way to Carmel.

If you like to hike the redwoods, the easiest hiking area and a short one is to hike to Pfeiffer Falls at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park (which is inland). About 1/2 hour.

Just south of Pfeiffer Big Sur is Nepenthe. The food is erratic but the view is fantastic.

Point Lobos is an absolutely wonderful stop. Lots of ways to hike Point Lobos, just no redwoods there.

Have fun!

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your help!
It is really appreciated.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 08:59 AM

The coastline trip that easytraveler proposes is the prettiest, but be warned: it will take at least 4-6 hours to reach Carmel, not including stops along the way. I'd rather take the faster inland I-680 route through the bay area to allow more time for the BETTER coastal views along Carmel and Big Sur. You'll probably take the Golden Gate Bridge on your way up to Sonoma, anyway.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM

It's six hours because it's pretty and you'll be stopping often and maybe even having lunch somewhere.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 09:29 AM

It depends on your priorities. If you want to get to Carmel before dinnertime, follow jtrandolph's suggestions.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:30 AM

I agree - it depends on your priorities.

Bucks is staying in Carmel for 2 nights, so she has the next day to explore that area. It might be nice to see some of the coast between SF and Santa Cruz as well - it is quite different from the Monterey area.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM

I agree with Bob. Take Hwy 12 east from Sonoma to Cordelia where I-80 and I-680 meet. Follow the signs for Benecia and take I-680 down to US 101 in San Jose. Then follow 101 to Prunedale and then take 156 and Hwy 1 to Carmel.

The Golden Gate route takes you through SF and city traffic. Taking Hwy 1 from SF to Carmel is slow going and can be gloomy in July because of fog. It's a great winter route, however.