Driving from Seattle to Yachats

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Lisa

Driving from Seattle to Yachats

Okay, my husband and I are going to be in OR 7nts. Essentialy we have two full days to make the drive from Seattle to Yachats, where we will be for 4nts (family reunion). I have never been to the west coast (Native Chicagoan) so I was thinking to just cut over to HWY 101 in WA and travel all the way south to Yachats, stopping in any town or region that cathches my eye along the way. Am I crazy?? Any "do not miss" inland attractions along this route? Looking more for the natural beauty of things, not touristy. Very active...

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:52 PM
lisa

Another Lisa! I think driving the coast in Washington is disappointing other than the Hoh Rain Forest. Most of 101 is forests in Washington and not directly on the coast, as in Oregon. Not too scenic, though a lesson in logging.
Instead, you might want to consider a side trip to Mt. Rainier. Though one night is short, you would just be awed by that majestic mountain. If you could stay at Paradise Lodge in the park, it would be a bonus. Longmire is a second lodge in the park, and easier to get reservations in. Paradise is at the timberline in a spectacular location. Longmire is a bit below, but is still a lovely place to stay.
If it's misty, head over to the east side, Sunrise, where it's a lot more likely to be clear.
You could high tail it from Rainier to Yachats in about 7 hours, via Portland to Canon Beach and down. Or you could take extra time and go to the Three Capes loop in Tillamook and hike out at Lookout State Park, onto a narrow spit of land on cliffs above the water. Part of the hike is through rain forest. It is beautiful and takes about 2 hours, if I recall. I think your trip would be about 9 or 10 hours to Yachats if you throw this hike in. Be sure to bring warm clothes, no matter when you go.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:26 AM
John

Lisa's (No. 2) response is good. An alternative is a bit lengthier, but adds some dynamite variety. Cross the Cascades from Seattle to Yakima (via I-90 and I-92) then take US 97 south across the Yakima Indian reservation to Goldendale WA and The Dalles, OR (don't miss the Maryhill Museum at Goldendale) then follow the Columbia River west through the Gorge. Overnight somewhere around Hood River, then the next day you can continue (through or around Portland) to the coast and be in Yachats in time for an early dinner. The Columbia Gorge is, simply, stunning, and you'll be amazed at the landscape variety you'll encounter on this route - Cascade mountain passes, ranching country, sagebrush desert, vinyards and fruit orchards, glorious empty "old west" country, then the big river, starting with red rocks and volcanoes in the distance (Mts. Adams and Hood), then descent along the river back into the green forests and waterfalls of the west side and ultimately the coast. Marvelous. Follow the river out to Astoria and keep calling your husband Merriweather.